At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for the technical development of architecture staff within a technical domain. A hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, accountable for effectively skilling, tooling and allocating architecture chapter members to best support the needs of Product and Value Stream architecture and engineering teams, along with a disciplined approach to professional development of chapter members. Coaches the team to continuously improve their process and practices, enforce appropriate quality and user experiences, drive out waste and toil, and to foster a culture of continuous innovation and learning. Effectively collaborates and negotiates with Product teams internal and external to Enterprise Architecture. Span of control is approx. 10 - 15 team members.
- Defines how architecture should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical architecture domain. Develops own technical skills to attain Subject Matter Expertise in at least one technical domain of architecture. Ensures consistency of technical execution and knowledge, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter. Architect solutions for special projects as needed.
- Develops own Chapter into a highly technical competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric team of technology architecture experts. Works with Product Owners and Value Stream leaders to efficiently and effectively allocate resources to meet Product and Value Stream needs. Fosters a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter. Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met.
- Instills a sense of purpose, curiosity and continuous learning with each and every Chapter member, motivating all to achieve their best. Owns the career and performance management process for the Chapter, ensuring the collective’s technical architecture competency continues to consistently evolve to effectively support the Product Owner and Value Stream needs. Attracts, on-boards and develops/retrains talent to achieve the strongest Chapter possible.
- Utilizes Product Owners and Value Stream feedback and performance/satisfaction metrics to identify areas of continuous improvement within the Chapter. Engages with internal and external communities of practice to share experience, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes innovation and collaboration of ideas across chapters/teams.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 4+ years of experience in Engineering People Leadership and Development or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.