About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Covanta-Map . For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf) Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Senior Process Engineer (Regional)
Required travel: 30% Average
Who You’ll Work With:
Our Process Engineering department’s purpose is to identify engineered solutions to operational issues in addition to recommending ways to improve the plant processes, with the ultimate goal of making our Facilities more profitable while maintaining environmental compliance. This is accomplished by working closely with Operations, Design Engineering, and Environmental departments. This group is the leader of tuning and maintaining the operating fleet’s combustion controls and experiments with advancing the overall combustion control philosophy to improve stability and lower emissions within the operating facilities. The group also leads the following types of plant projects: control system upgrades, hydraulic system upgrades, SNCR systems, combustion air systems, and modernization of stokers, grates, and boilers.
What You’ll Do:
The Senior Process Engineer will report directly to the Manager of the Process Engineering Department. Your primary role is to provide technical support to our operating Energy from Waste (EfW) facilities – specifically on analyzing plant operation, evaluating systems’ performance, and recommending areas of improvement. You will perform equipment inspections and conduct plant evaluations to identify operational issues that are hindering performance by utilizing your hands-on knowledge of the steam plant and steam cycle of power generating facilities. In this critical role, you’ll take the lead on working with plant operations to tune the combustion controls to maintain plant performance and environmental compliance. Additionally, you’ll lead projects and commissioning of new systems within the plants.
- Modify and tune combustion controls to improve boiler stability, plant production, and environmental performance.
- Review and improve the combustion control logic and philosophy related to the over 10 different stoker/grate technologies across the operating fleet.
- Data analysis around plant performance – trending, statistics, engineering calculations in thermodynamics, heat transfer, heat and material balances.
- Develop and experiment with ways to advance the control of key system within our Facilities utilizing the latest instrumentation
- Work with plant operations staff to identify plant system issues which are hindering plant performance.
- Train plant operations in how to properly utilize the combustion controls and other process system controls.
- Lead the execution/commissioning of projects that are part of the long term maintenance plan such as: control system upgrades, hydraulic system upgrades, mechanical grate upgrades, combustion air system upgrades.
- Review of existing operational guidelines and procedures for key plant control systems and provide technical guidance.
Who You Are:
Our Senior Process Engineer must understand and resolve problems by recommending and leading system upgrades, tuning or improving the existing plant controllers, or training of the plant staff to help optimize performance. You must be capable of understanding (learning) how the mechanical components of stokers/grates and boilers impact plant performance. Ideally, you’ll bring a combination of three very important skills: keen mechanical equipment background, process knowledge of how the equipment works within a power setting, and an instrumentation/controls engineer with controller tuning experience.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering is required
- Five (5) years or more of hands-on work experience in industrial plant environment including design, field and commissioning experience with a very strong preference for those in the Power industry.
- Experience in troubleshooting and problem-solving real-world issues at the plant level
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understanding of programming and/or modifying control logic in PLCs and/or Bailey DCS systems. RSLogix 5000, FactoryTalk ME, ABB S+, and Citect knowledge is a plus
- Understanding of how to tune and analyze performance of PID controllers
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication, and data analytical skills (statistical analysis and trending)
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, addressing real world problems on-site to improve existing plant performance.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to plant operations – and help drive/lead those projects through the execution and commissioning phases
- Ability to measure, monitor, and analyze plant process conditions for diagnostic purposes (pitot traverse, HVT testing, boiler/turbine testing)
- Ability to inspect and assess plant operating performance of various power plant components including boilers, pumps, fans, hydraulic systems, heater exchangers (superheaters/economizers), and turbines
- Capability to develop and work with P&ID’s, control descriptions, and operating procedures
- Understanding of and coordination with other disciplines to ensure proper project execution
- Leadership of projects, to ensure timely completion of all tasks
- Proficiency in MS Office - Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote
- Ability to travel 30%