Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join our Laser Systems team in Plymouth, MI. This team designs and builds automated electromechanical systems that utilize lasers to process materials in industrial applications.
- Development of software code to enable communication, monitoring and control of multiple devices such as multi axis motion controllers, vision systems, and pneumatic actuators
- Support the machine build phase of production and improve overall build efficiency by standardizing control modules and methods.
- Develop and implement error proofing techniques to improve machine buy-off success rate and operator safety
- Develop standard control methods for workstation builds to eliminate the need for continual program rewrites for workstations of similar design
- Standardize the Coherent HMI and methodology for operating a workstation
- Develop a fault tracking system for all control programs and integrate this report into customer FIS systems
- Support the design process via establishing line requirements, balancing, robot installation, and other electrical controls
- Develop requirements and safety controls for automated cells
- Coordinate and manage controls systems
- Develop risk analysis system for machine safety and specific work instruction to ensure safety protocols are communicated
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing and writing .NET (C#) from the ground up, including HMI screens
- Previous experience troubleshooting existing control systems using Root-Cause-Analysis techniques
- Preferred candidate will have significant experience and expertise in one or more control systems: Aerotech motion controls, Fanuc robot programming; Beckhoff PC based controls
- Willing to travel up to 20% for onsite revalidation and customer troubleshooting
- Experience tuning various types of motion controllers
- Previous experience interacting with customers at their site to support production/commissioning tasks
- Experience with network protocols (Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet….etc.)
- Experience with Pilz safety PLCs
- Experience writing detailed equipment specifications or flow charts that encompass complex plant or line processes
- Experience using a CAD package to create 2D cell layouts and electrical drawings
- Exposure to or experience with regulations, specification and codes (OSHA, CSA Z433-16, CE, UL…etc.); ensuring compliance for new markets
- Knowledge of SECS/GEM, OPC-UA, MTConnect
- Ability to apply state of the art concepts of modular programming to optimize efficiency, performance and troubleshooting of PLC programs and other machine control algorithms
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.