Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to be part of the Coherent product design team for laser-integrated manufacturing systems, ensuring comprehensive system development, working in conjunction with electrical and controls engineers to design unique and effective systems for customers. You will lead the development, build and delivery of new laser manufacturing systems for laser marking, welding and cutting applications. This role is responsible for both technical innovation/design concepts based on customer needs and leveraging cross-functional teams to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery. You will identify potential failure modes to design challenges and implement optimal solutions.
- Design and develop industrial machines/systems and integrated assembly solutions using innovative engineering solutions derived from Coherent’s laser portfolio, generating precision mechanical systems and tooling that are imaginative, thorough, practical and within cost and time targets
- Collaborate and partner with various internal teams to complete new product tooling from inception to install, including marketing/product managers, application engineering teams, internal Coherent laser source providers/manufacturers and manufacturing teams
- Control project cost and timing utilizing Wrike project management software
- Periodically interact with customers and vendors to discuss and establish requirements
- 3D modeling and stress analysis using Autodesk Inventor. Execute sound engineering practices, backed up with hand-calculations, FEA, etc.
- Layout innovative optical-mechanical laser beam delivery designs with an emphasis on laser beam alignment and optics configuration
- Design to micron level accuracy on integrated multi-axis linear/rotary motion and part holding
- Provide fixturing solutions for intricate part-holding solutions
- Generate detail drawings with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Organize and output bills of materials utilizing an ECO approval process in Agile PLM software
- Employ new technologies to produce unique and innovative machine tool solutions
Education and Work Experience:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant engineering field
- 5+ years of precision mechanical systems design experience in motion systems design, opto-mechanical design, integration into material laser processing workstations, etc.
- Previous experience in precision-design for high-accuracy positioning systems, such as semiconductor and/or surface-mount technology (SMT) processing and assembly systems
- Previous laser systems and opto-mechanical design experience
- Previous experience designing robotic work cells and associated end effectors
- Significant experience/expertise using Inventor and/or SolidWorks CAD software
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to assist with hands-on prototype design/assembly and on-the-floor support of transfers to manufacturing/assembly
- Knowledge of applicable laser safety standards and OSHA ergonomic requirements
- Vibration isolation, dynamics and motion analysis experience
- Proficient application of GD&T when designing and building high-precision tooling and fixtures, including linear motion systems
- Hands-on experience with machining equipment (mill, lathe, CNC, etc.), including machine qualification to technical specifications
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
As a government contractor Coherent will require all new U.S. employees to be fully-vaccinated for Covid-19 as a condition of hire unless they are legally entitled to an accommodation for a disability or sincerely held religious belief. More information regarding accommodations can be found on our Diversity and Inclusion page.