Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
The Tooling Design / Development Engineer in our team will collaborate with marketing and technical R&D teams to develop potential new products, designing the tooling aspects and providing input to determine the viability (cost/time investment).
- Receive data and input from marketing and other R&D technical team members to set, define and complete tooling R&D goals and projects for potential new product types, under the guidance of the R&D manager
- Conduct engineering tests and detailed experimental testing to collect design data or assist in research work.
- Complete the detailed tooling design of potential new products, provide feedback to decision-makers on realistic product viability on the basis of material cost and man-hours requirements for future/repeat design/builds
- Organize and write machine qualification procedures
- Provide marketing and sales teams with the tooling portion concepts for potential new or custom machine sale proposals
- Build external customer relationships and provide support in the build and commissioning of new/prototype products, including on-site installs and trouble-shooting as needed
- Work from schematics, diagrams, written, and verbal descriptions, layouts or defined plans to perform testing, checkout and trouble-shooting functions.
- Collaborate and partner with various internal teams to complete new product tooling from inception to install, including marketing/product managers, applications teams, engineering teams, internal Coherent laser source providers/manufacturers and manufacturing teams
- Assist the Engineering product delivery team with standard or one-off custom machine design and builds as needed to ensure on-time delivery and customer satisfaction
- Assist in the design, construction, test and check-out of test equipment. Use manufacturing test, development or diagnostic equipment. Perform operational test and fault isolation on systems and equipment. Assist in determining methods or actions to remedy malfunctions, both in-house and at customer site
Education and Work Experience:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a tooling development position
- Experience designing in 3D CAD, preferably in Solidworks and/or Inventor modeling platforms (proficient in the design of parts and assemblies)
- Experience using manufacturing test, development or diagnostic equipment including but not limited to such equipment as oscilloscopes, signal generators and specialized test apparatus
- Hands-on experience with machining equipment (mill, lathe, cnc, etc), including machine qualification to technical specifications
- Experience designing and building high precision tooling and fixtures at micron level accuracies, including linear motion systems, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GDT), etc.
- Familiarity with linear stage accuracy measurements with interferometry equipment.
- Experience with industrial laser technology, such as calculation of optical beam paths
- Tool Maker Certification preferred
- Experience organizing and writing procedures for machine qualification
- Experience using Oracle/Agile a plus
- Experience interacting directly with external customers in high-stress situations
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.