Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to work in our Optical Fiber Engineering group in East Granby, Connecticut. Daily tasks and job responsibilities of the selected candidate will include:
- Become familiar with optical fiber fabrication equipment and techniques (Modified Chemical Vapor Deposition – MCVD, Over-collapse and Fiber Draw) and some of the main process concepts used in high volume production environment at Coherent
- Design advanced precision mechanical equipment and appropriate controls when needed for new Optical Fiber product introduction and improved process control
- Model parts and assemblies in CAD, create design documents, request quotes and coordinate/execute implementation
- Take systems from concept phase through design, prototype, test and validation using engineering principles to solve unique challenges related to Optical Fiber manufacturing
- Plan and execute validation plans to quantify system improvements against targets and transfer system to production environments
- Develop firmware for control systems, motors, drives and actuator controllers, sensor systems and self-monitoring control systems.
- Integrate hardware and software system solutions, develop and implement novel mechatronic systems, control algorithms and motor tuning to achieve manufacturing goals
- Opportunities to manage equipment and process improvement Engineering projects, coordinate tasks across cross-functional teams, track and report progress towards project goals, metrics and timeline
- Participate in New Product Introduction projects and support R&D and Engineering group activities to scope and execute equipment, system and control improvement needs
Education and Work Experience:
- B.S. degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or a related field
- Proficiency with CAD modeling, preferably SolidWorks
- 2 or more years of experience in motion control systems or industrial automation
- Proficiency in one or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, C#, VB/VB.NET, Motion Control Scripting Languages, Python, MATLAB
- M.S. degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or a related field
- Experience with electric motors and drives, feedback control systems, PID loops or signal processing preferred
- Experience with simulation, algorithm development and control system design in MATLAB or similar
- Electrical competency to aid in design, test and analysis including electromechanical valves, actuators, motors and other components
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.