Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
Our Coherent ACG product line, located in Budd Lake, NJ, delivers custom high-precision nonlinear crystal optics and opto-mechanical assemblies, primarily to the laser markets. We are seeking an Optical Technician who will be responsible for the following:
- Perform various functions associated with fabrication of optical components such as profiling, cutting, milling, grinding, beveling, blocking, polishing, edging, cleaning and testing using appropriate machines and equipment
- Manufacture optical components in a production environment by loading and aligning components on fabrication machines and reviewing and modifying setup parameters depends on crystal orientation
- Prepare equipment for operation by positioning and securing polishing fixtures, preparing tooling, and preparing and monitoring polishing slurries
- Maintain in-process specifications and controls and determines sequence of operations based on work instructions
- Measure part dimensions using various tools including micrometers and height gauges
- Use a variety of metrology and inspection tools to test and inspect optical components for accuracy and quality (x-ray goniometers, interferometers, autocollimators etc.)
- Monitors manufacturing processes and works with engineering to evaluate and implement process improvements
- May build or modify equipment used to test precision options and lead others in their use. Support engineering group with developing new processes and writing WI for these.
- Ensure proper operation of equipment by performing scheduled preventative maintenance
- Actively participate in building a collaborative and productive team environment
Education and Work Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in an advanced manufacturing field or relevant technical degree/certifications
- Previous experience operating precision hand tools such as micrometers and calipers prefered
- Candidate must be able to perform frequent and sustained standing, lifting up to 50 lbs., and have sufficient visual acuity for reading computer screens and hardcopy documents.
- Need to be able to operate and use microscope, and computer.
- Previous experience in optical crystals polishing
- Understanding of basic shop math such as ratios, graphs, algebra, and basic geometry
- Required to read and understand blueprints and technical drawings.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.