- Our interns typically pursue Masters or PhD degrees in engineering and science, most commonly Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics, but we encourage applications from any field of study if you are motivated and feel your unique skills are relevant to what we do.
- We will also consider your application if you are pursuing an undergraduate or bachelor's degree and have relevant project or work experience.
Skills and Experience
- Good knowledge of the architecture and micro-architecture of CPUs, GPUs, or accelerators, their memory subsystems, or other components in your chosen area of research
- Programming experience in C, C++, Python and / or another modern language like Rust, Golang, Swift, or others
- Strong research skills: analytical thinking, designing experiments, clear communication of complex ideas; may have published in an academic conference or journal
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Understanding of instruction set architecture and fundamentals of CPU micro-architecture
- Software workloads, benchmarking, and performance analysis with common performance profiling tools or simulators (e.g. gem5, simplescalar, dynamorio, pin)
- Experience of software-level parallelism and of memory consistency models and coherency protocols and how they are implemented
- Memory technologies such as DRAM, Flash, or emerging non-volatile memories
- Memory address translation, memory encryption and integrity protection
- Software or hardware verification using SMT solvers, such as Z3, CVC4, or similar
Our internships and how to apply
We invite you to apply for an internship if your research interests align with ours and are enthusiastic about the type of work we do. As an Arm Research intern, you will get a first-hand view of how Arm crafts its technology and maintains an ecosystem of more than one thousand partners that have shipped over 170 billion leading-edge Arm-powered processors. We will work closely with you to develop an internship project that is tailored to your interests. Our internships are three months long with flexible start dates. We offer continuous support, feedback, and development opportunities as well as flexibility to decide how to complete project tasks.
You will work alongside experienced researchers within a specific team and also the wider research group doing real project tasks. We believe in developing talent for the future, so we seek to offer many of our interns a graduate position once they have finished their studies.
Please provide a cover note with your application; include some information about what you are interested in and the kind of projects you would like to work on. If you have a clear idea about the work you want to do, include it in your letter. It is okay not to be 100% sure! Tell us about your studies and what you enjoy, and we will try to find the right fit for you.
Arm Research recognizes that diverse and inclusive teams generate exceptional ideas and innovations critical to an outstanding research organization's success. We do not discriminate because of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
Information is crucial, share it.
Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Be quirky not egocentric.
Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
Make trust our default position.
Hold strong opinions lightly.