We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you an experienced software developer? Are you interested in working on innovative, futuristic technologies? Are you up for the challenge of blending open source technology into autonomous and safety critical domains like self-driving cars and robots?
The Arm Open Source Software group enables partners to build software on Arm IP-based systems. We develop and contribute to open source software (OSS) projects, providing essential reference implementations and optimisations to key software system components, and also validated software stacks for Arm IP-based reference platforms used in intelligent devices.
We are looking for software developers to join our software development team that contributes to key open source software projects that are focused on Autonomous Functions and Automotive use cases. The team targets enabling automotive stacks on Arm IP-based platforms, as well as developing features on these stacks that take advantage of Arm Architectural features.
The team is based in our Cambridge office. We offer the opportunity to develop your skills through both formal and informal training and development activities.
What will you be accountable for?
After an initial training and ramp-up period, as a team member you will be responsible for the following.
- Delivery of tasks from the team backlog and roadmap; including writing and testing of code, creating technical documentation
- Engaging in team activities ranging from requirements analysis, work breakdown, build system support, mentoring and recruitment
What will the team be accountable for?
- Design reference application software targeting automotive and robotics applications
- Implement system software ports and bring-up on a variety of platforms including simulators, development boards and shipping products
- Collaborate with upstream projects, commit patches and maintain relevant OSS projects
- Share knowledge across Arm with other automotive and safety-focused groups
- Integrating and maintaining a Linux-based reference stack using Yocto and targeting automotive systems
- Contributing to different open source projects targeting automotive industry (e.g. Autoware, AGL, Apollo, Yocto, Robotic Operating System (ROS) framework, etc.)
Essential Skills & Experience
For this position, we need someone who has the following skills/attributes.
- We look for excellent communications skills, a creative mind with good problem-solving abilities, and self-motivation.
- You have strong technical skills and a solid understanding of understanding of a language such as C or C++.
- You are self-sufficient, and with the ability to work effectively in a cross-site team.
- A solid understanding of software development lifecycle and supporting infrastructure such as CI and automated testing.
- Knowledge of software development using a Linux environment (e.g. Ubuntu)
Note: Training may be provided for the right candidate with only a subset of the skills and experience.
Desirable Skills & Experience
The following is a selection of skills used across our projects. You do not need any of these to apply or succeed in your application.
- Familiarity with build systems (i.e. Gnu Make, CMake, Automake, Meson, etc.) and distro building tools (i.e. OpenEmbedded, Yocto, Buildroot, etc.)
- Linux based embedded systems (e.g. firmware, bootloader, device tree, device drivers, filesystem)
- You are experienced with using a version control system (i.e. Git, Subversion, Mercurial, etc.)
- You are familiar with upstreaming and have codeline maintenance experience
- Knowledge on hypervisors (e.g. Xen)
Please note we are hiring a number of software engineers at this location.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps