We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you an experienced open source system software developer? Are you interested in working on innovative, futuristic technologies? Are you up for the challenge of blending open source technology into safety critical domains like self-driving cars and robots?
At Arm we are looking for like-minded individuals with a passion for open source software who want to contribute to the future of computing.
The Arm Open Source Software group enables partners to build software on Arm IP-based systems. We develop and contribute to open source software (OSS) projects, providing essential reference implementations and optimisations to key software system components, and also validated software stacks for Arm IP-based reference platforms used in intelligent devices.
The Safety Critical Machines team within the Open Source Software group is seeking experienced engineers to help contributes to key OSS projects that are focused on Autonomous Functions, Safety of the human operator and Intelligent systems.
We target optimisations on Arm IP-based automotive platforms, delivering high performance at the least energy expense, and safe programming at scale are the kinds of interesting challenges that we face.
What will you be accountable for?
As part of this team, you will:
- Design reference application software targeting automotive and robotics applications
- Implement system software ports and bring-up on a variety of platforms including simulators, development boards and shipping products
- Represent Arm within key OSS projects
- Collaborate with upstream projects, commit patches and maintain relevant OSS projects
- Share knowledge across Arm with other automotive and safety-focused groups
Education & Qualifications
You have a good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other degrees would be considered if you have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- You will have excellent C skills; some assembly skills are desirable (not necessarily Arm assembly)
- You have authoritative knowledge of typical embedded boot flows and layering of software.
- We look for knowledge of virtualization technologies, for instance the Xen Hypervisor or equivalent technology
- You are experienced in designing software, with an emphasis on testing, and knowledge of software design techniques and maintaining compatibility, and we value previous experience of automated testing systems
- We value experience of working both independently and on software projects in collaboration with a large multi-site team
- You are able to collaborate with external partners and their teams
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we seek excellent written and spoken English; capable of writing documentation, mentoring junior engineers. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
Desirable Skills & Experience
- We are looking for experience developing in of C++ and scripting / interpreted languages such as Python
- Strong familiarity with build systems (Gnu Make/CMake/Meson) and hands on experience with distributed development tools (GIT/Gerrit/GitHub)
- You are familiar with upstreaming and codeline maintenance Experience with popular boot frameworks (edk2, u-boot, coreboot etc)
- Alongside knowledge of operating systems (embedded, UNIX or UNIX-derived…), we hope you can show knowledge of automotive /robotic platforms such as RoS, Apollo or Autoware.
- Experience with device driver development
- We value familiarity with typical System-on-a-Chip architectures and knowledge of embedded security technologies
- You have an understanding of embedded power management techniques
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK. Please note we are hiring a number of software engineers at this location.
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps