As the Arm open source community lead you are the focal point of all things open source, you lead the Open Source Office (OSO) and provide a consistent approach to open source software (OSS) development and engagements.
OSS is a key component to Arm’s business. It is used in all the segments in which we operate, meaning that the diversity of technology we work with is very broad.
Arm has over 1000 software engineers working on or with open source, all of which require help and mentorship on how best to work with the internal and external communities for which their software is destined.
The role brings together expertise from the legal and IP aspects of OSS, combined with building community relationships and being an exemplary citizen to the upstreams – requiring a deep understanding of OSS, not just the code.
Job Purpose & Accountabilities:
As the leaders of Arm's OSO you will be responsible for delivering consistency in our approach to working with OSS across the company, bringing together legal, patents, tooling, approvals, community behavior and strategy.
The role will report to one of the OSS teams within Arm, however the scope will be to work across Arm with all the software teams where necessary.
You will lead Arm’s internal open source summit which brings together all our open source leaders annually, and the more frequent OSO meetings.
An objective of the role is also to increase our external open source presence through participating in community events and driving the curation of external content describing Arm contributions.
Your responsibilities, working with the wider OSO, include
- Clearly communicating the OSS strategy within and outside the company
- Owning and leading the execution of the strategy
- Facilitating the effective use of open source in commercial products and services
- Ensuring high-quality and frequent releases of code to OSS communities
- Engaging with developer communities and ensuring contributions are made back to projects
- Developing the OSS culture within the organization
- Maintaining open source license compliance reviews and oversight