We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Senior Software Engineer to work in our Open Source Team at our Global Headquarters in Cambridge
The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors.
As a member of the Open Source Software Group you will have the opportunity to build upon your existing background, knowledge and expertise and contribute to Open Source projects, e.g. Linux Kernel, Trusted Firmware, etc. providing essential reference implementations and optimisations to key software system components.
This contribution helps drive the development of world-class System Software for architected hardware and software platforms catering to different segments such as Mobile/Server/IoT/Automotive which become reference designs for futuristic devices in the market.
You will join a team of Software Developers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead
We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of every level of the System software stack ranging from BareMetal firmware, bootloaders, Kernel and Distros.
If you are similarly passionate about leading edge technologies then we want to hear from you!
- Active involvement in the software design of reference application processor firmware
- Contribution to the design and development of reference secure firmware for Arm application processors and MCUs
- Your day to day role will involve low level software development, test and debug on various platforms, including software models, development boards and shipping products
- Creating software stacks for Arm’s reference platforms for future Arm devices.
- We want you to be able to analyse industry specs, roadmap requirements, breakdown tasks and help execute the project plans
- We would like you to aspire to provide the best technical advice and direction to both Arm's, and Arm Partners', platform implementation projects
- Your activities will involve upstreaming and maintenance
- Providing direction and mentoring to other members of your team as they learn new things and solve complex problems.
As an active member of an extended development team you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry
You would be helping to develop, optimise and deliver the software needed to support Arm's groundbreaking IP, as well as helping Arm grow its role in new embedded and enterprise market segments.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- University degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have appropriate experience.
- You have expertise in low level systems and a command over a range of related concepts such as bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals preferably Linux, low level power management, developing secure system
- Excellent C skills! some assembly skills are desirable with proficiency with the GNU toolchain and/or LLVM and cross compiling
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English. Do you have the capability to support key partners with their internal development programs?
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- Experience of software profiling, instrumentation and optimization
- You will exhibit an understanding of how to rigorously test software using various techniques
- You are familiar and flexible in the use of various software development lifecycle methods including Agile
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- You can show an awareness of the value of a rigorous CI and automated test system
- We prize experience in porting AOSP on mobile SOC and a knowledge of the Android build system.
- You are more than aware of the vagaries of System Architecture (pipelines, caches, MMUs, Interrupt Controllers, timers)
- Knowledge of hypervisors (e.g. Xen)
- You can demonstrate a proficiency with scripting languages such as Python or Perl
Our Core Beliefs lie at the heart of Arm and represent the essence of our organization. When combined and working together, they articulate the uniqueness of Arm culture:
Passion for Progress
Innovation that enables our ecosystems, Arm and our people to thrive.
- Work with pace and judgment. Adapt to circumstances.
- Take risks in support of Arm's progress.
- Be accountable for the decisions you make. Learn from failure.
- Pursue innovation relentlessly.
We, Not I
Collaboration first, egos last.
- Start with long-term value to customers and partners, and work back from there.
- Collaborate, decide, commit, and bring people with you.
- Make the most of all the skills and knowledge across Arm; share information with those who need it.
- Care about the people around you.
Be your Brilliant Self
Skillful individuality, performance and fulfilment.
- Be authentic.
- Seek and embrace differences.
- Encourage curiosity and challenge.
- Give people trust and autonomy; show people they can trust you to do brilliant work in pursuit of Arm's goals.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps