We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
As an Intern in the Systems Architecture and Technology Group, you will join a team of motivated architects and engineers who share a passion for technology development, guided by quantitative investigation and expert understanding of the markets we serve. You will undertake a real project that will contribute to the group’s aim of helping ARM maintain its leadership in the low-power mobile market, as well as developing next-generation technologies for the server and networking markets. If you want to be a member of a customer facing team driving innovation and having an impact on the future of technology we want to hear from you!
The Systems Architecture and Technology Group in Cambridge (UK) is responsible for exploring and understanding new technologies in order to meet the needs of future systems. This often involves working with hardware/software prototypes and models not yet available to the general public. Work is carried out on a range of development platforms, software models, simulators, and production code – typically 3-5 years before ARM partners release these systems as commercial products.
The duration of the internship is 3 months over the summer period (there is a degree of flexibility).
What will I be accountable for?
We are looking for an outstanding intern candidate who is passionate about the latest computing technology. As a member of a small and agile team you will work alongside system architects and technology experts from across ARM to understand and shape next-generation systems, including the definition of future ARM products. In particular, you will help develop prototypes and models to evaluate system performance in real world use cases.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need as an Intern?
As a successful Intern you will be flexible with a variety of software or hardware development skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge. You will likely be pursuing a degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Electronic Engineering, although candidates with other academic backgrounds (Mathematics, Physics, or other Engineering disciplines) would also be considered if they have the relevant skills. You will have a strong interest in computer architecture and the interaction between software and hardware in a real system.
We don’t expect you to know much about the mobile, server, and networking markets, but we will expect you to have some level of understanding of how computers work, including both the hardware and the software. You must be able to find solutions to difficult problems and have the ability to organise and analyse results from experiments.
Essential skills and experience:
- Good C/C++ programming skills
- Strong interest in computer architecture
- Good communication skills
- Pro-active and self motivated
- Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
Desirable skills and experience:
- Personal project work and/or contributions to open source projects
- Experience and/or project work related to the interface between software and hardware (e.g., device drivers, operating systems, compilers)
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
ARM is proud to have a set of behaviours that differentiate our talent in the marketplace. These are embedded in all our roles and applicants are encouraged to evidence their attitudes/behaviours as part of the application process:
- Operates effectively and openly in teams and shares both knowledge and success with others
- Builds strong and lasting relationships based on mutual trust
- Actively seeks out and encourages alternative viewpoints and ideas
- Applies critical thinking to select the best way forward
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in gaining insight from team experiences and is receptive to feedback
- Is passionate about the success of others and actively provides support for their development
- Listens and explores alternative perspectives before carefully shaping work that will deliver impactful results
- Persuades rather than pushes when influencing colleagues
- Acts with a thoughtful sense of urgency
- Demonstrates a helpful, can-do attitude
- Thinks and acts in the best interests of our customers and partners
- Strives to achieve win-win outcomes for ARM and our customers
What can I expect in ARM’s recruitment process?
ARM hires early careers talent on a rolling basis and we have a limited number of roles available. We therefore encourage students to apply by 11th December to ensure you have the best chance of being considered. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a digital/ telephone interview. If this interview goes well, we'll invite you to a selection day/ onsite interview. We'll be holding selection days every month where successful candidates will have the opportunity to learn more about ARM and meet our teams in person.
We are currently only able to support applications from candidates who are already eligible to work and live in the UK. This might also include individuals who are currently under the Tier 4 study visa scheme. Therefore, you will automatically be deselected if this requirement isn’t met.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps