We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
Arm is looking for an Application Engineer who is passionate about working directly on High Performance Computing (HPC) applications with scientists and end-users of supercomputers in the US.This position is for on-site support of Arm technologies at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. As a successful candidate, you will be offered the chance to work with strategic HPC projects and to lead future collaborations and consultancy work with very high-profile customers. An ability to work with materials under US Export Control is preferred but is not essential. This role will involve up to 25% travel, primarily across the US.
This role is part of a focused professional services team organized under Arm’s Infrastructure Line of Business. This team is responsible for supporting and enabling key HPC customers and partners in their development and deployment of HPC applications across various HPC platforms. As a successful candidate, you will drive better use of the Arm Forge tools through regular informal and formal training sessions for ORNL's existing scientists, remote users and new staff members. The role offers many opportunities to sharpen your HPC application expertise while working on a wide range of scientific fields and environments. You will gain an excellent knowledge of Arm’s HPC development tools and a deep understanding of Arm’s HPC roadmap.
What will I be accountable for?
In day-to-day work, you will be responsible for working closely with a multi-disciplinary team of applications experts, systems integrators, and users to enable their high performance computing (HPC) workloads. You will apply the Arm Allinea Studio tool suite to a variety of HPC workloads including scientific simulation, machine learning, and data analytics. Target codes may be written in any language but will typically be a combination of C/C++, Fortran, and Python involving a variety of parallelization technologies including OpenMP, MPI, OpenSHMEM, Kokkos, Raja, and custom solutions.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
- MSc or PhD in a scientific or computing discipline, or similar.
- Foundations in computer science and applications.
- An understanding of software performance analysis.
- Experience with workload performance characterization and bottleneck analysis.
- A thorough understanding of distributed-memory and shared-memory parallelism.
- Demonstrated ability to port complex software packages between diverse computer architectures.
- Demonstrated ability to debug correctness and performance problems in software written in multiple languages and involving multiple layers of dynamic parallelism.
- Strong C, C++, Fortran, and Python programming skills.
- Able to work in a dynamic environment with shifting requirements and priorities.
- Fluent in English communication with excellent technical presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, dependable, personable, and positive.
- Able to network and create new relationships with current and potential customers.
- Experienced HPC user with strong understanding of HPC systems and technologies.
- Strong understanding of performance characterization methodologies (e.g. roofline, top-down) for systems and applications.
- Familiar with industry standard benchmarks & open source applications.
- Experience with Arm Forge.
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for Progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs.
ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
Austin, TX USA
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735
See on Google maps