We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This role presents a fantastic opportunity for a hardworking intern with a background in computer architecture and system design to support the development of embedded systems using some of the latest Arm technology. This is a great opportunity to engage with global research teams and work on ground-breaking technology that could enable the next generation of portable devices, home automation, smart cities, self-driving cars, and much more.
About the Role:
To support our Research Enablement mission, Arm provides research infrastructure in the form of reference subsystem designs and methodologies to researchers who wish to develop FPGAs and/or ASICs to support their research objectives. In this role you will be part of a small team to help drive these activities. You will work across a wide range of Arm technology, including different types of Processor cores, interconnect and peripherals. You will need to have an inventive and can-do approach to problem solving.
What will I be accountable for?
- Building hardware reference designs or methodologies.
- Creation of example software for the research community
- More than anything else, you must have a willingness to adapt and take no new challenges
Education & Qualifications
- Working towards or completed university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- A real passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
- Hands-on experience of hardware design
- Knowledge of low level C and/or C++
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would improve your application:
- Knowledge of a leading RISC based computer architecture ideally Arm
- Bare metal C application development
- Experience using FPGA tools and flows
- IDE and compilation technology, e.g. Eclipse and Keil MDK
- Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
- Knowledge of other languages, such as shell, Perl, Python, Java or any assembly
- Capable of working as a teammate or independently.
- High degree of initiative and a proven problem solver.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- Good communicator, personable and able to work and communicate at a detailed or high level.
- Desire to continuously develop skills and accept a variety of responsibilities and challenges.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
Information is crucial, share it.
Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Be quirky not egocentric.
Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
Make trust our default position.
Hold strong opinions lightly.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps