We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
We are looking for a highly motivated software student to join Arm’s embedded software teams. The positions are in various teams working on projects across the software stack – firmware, operating systems, device drivers, JIT compilers and Runtimes, middleware,etc.
If you’re passionate about either of:
- Developing high quality, high performance software for Arm’s advanced architectures, CPUs, system IP, and integrated sub-systems.
- Digging deeper into the internals of how operating systems work
- How the firmware and OS interact, and the responsibilities of the firmware
- The challenges of bringing up a new development board
- Exploring the complexities of system architecture and its effect on performance
- Improving the quality of Software development with CI systems (Continuous Integration)
Then there is a role for you!
What will you be accountable for?
As an intern, you will work alongside experienced engineers as part of a development team at Arm’s offices in Budapest. Within the team, you will have a mentor and work on tasks that feed into supporting existing projects as well as exploring and prototypingideas for the future. You’ll also receive mentorship and support from other team members and have the opportunity to work across all aspects of the software life cycle.
Tasks vary by team need and are continuously updated to reflect priorities, interns typically work on investigating the feasibility of ideas, extending specific features, comparative analysis of multiple potential solutions and analysing root causes of reportedbehaviours. Many tasks require working with development platforms, or simulated hardware environments where features are being developed and tested before the physical devices have been built.
Most of the positions will give you the opportunity to upstream your code into an Open-Source project.
What skills, experience and qualifications do you need as an Embedded Software Intern?
- A real passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
- A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
- Knowledge of C and/or C++
- Comfortable communicating within a small team
- A desire for learning and self-improvement
Desirable Skills and Qualities
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would enhance your application:
- An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
- Open Source project interaction or contribution
- Operating system kernel or device drivers
- Application development
- Compilation technology, JIT (Just In Time) compilers and Runtime…
- Android, ChromeOS, RedHat, Debian internals/middleware development
- Linux development or validation
- Zephyr, FreeRTOS, other RTOS development or validation
- Embedded devices, and programming beyond using a microcontroller
- An appreciation of some of the ways in which computer architectures differ
- Hands on experience with hardware and software debuggers
- Knowledge of other languages, such as shell, Perl, Python, Java, Haskell or any assembly
- Continuous integration tools (Jenkins, buildbot…)
How do I stand out?
What additional helpful extracurricular activities do you participate in whether this be self-study, community participation or volunteering. Examples of this being
- Projects undertaken outside of formal study
- Showcasing involvement in open source projects in the form of pointers to patches, repositories, bug reports, conference attendances or hacking events
Please note multiple positions are available for this vacancy.
Please indicate if you’re looking for an internship longer than 3 months.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
No individual owns the right answer.
Brilliance is collective.
Information is crucial, share it.
Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
Our differences are our strength.
Widen and mix up your network of connections.
Difficult things can take unexpected directions.
Stick with it.
Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Be quirky not egocentric.
Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
Make trust our default position.
Hold strong opinions lightly.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Contributory Pension
- Insurance, Medical & Life
- Allowances, Transportation & Meal
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave
- Sabbatical, 20 business days every four-year of service
- Others, SZEP card, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Budapest office is focused on design and verification projects from the Systems & Software and Partner Enablement teams. Often cited as one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, Budapest is an UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the Banks of the Danube, the Buda Castle Quarter and Andrassy Avenue, making it one of the most visited cities in Europe.
Arm Hungary Kft.
1082 Budapest, Futó u. 45.
(Corvin Crystal Tower)
See on Google maps