We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Do you have a passion for Performance Analysis? Would you like to apply your expertise to the diverse world of mobile and embedded development tools? Joining the Arm Mobile Studio team, you will collaborate to develop, design and improve our performance analysis solutions to support a wide range of developers in this rich ecosystem.
As a developer for Arm Mobile Studio, you are responsible for delivering a collection of performance tools that help Android game developers reach the widest target audience by efficiently optimizing their application rendering workloads. The suite includes Arm Graphics Analyzer, a tool to trace graphics API calls, Mali Offline Compiler, a tool for profiling shader programs, and Arm Streamline, a system profiler that can quickly determine bottlenecks across Arm CPUs and Mali GPUs. Mobile Studio can be used to maximize performance for standalone applications as well as applications developed with the leading Unity and Unreal Engine game engines. The performance tools developed by this team are also included in Arm Development Studio, providing support for profiling graphics workloads on non-Android platforms.
In the course of this role you will learn about developing software for these ecosystems, how to get the best performance out of Arm CPUs and Mali GPUs, and how to present performance feedback to an application developer. Our performance tools are used across a wide spectrum of applications developers: mobile, games, Android, Linux, embedded and enterprise.
What will you be accountable for?
Your main accountabilities will involve working collaboratively to extend, develop and maintain our suite of performance analysis tools. There will also be scope for working on new projects, such as integrating the tools with third-party IDEs and Games Engines, and developing compliance suites that will ensure developers have a great user experience using our tools on shipping consumer devices.
For your role as a software developer:
- You will understand the development flows used by our users, whether these are Android game developers, embedded software developers, or device manufacturers.
- You will develop and extend performance counter and event trace capture software (developed in C++).
- You will engineer and extend graphics tracing, graphics API analysis, and shader analysis software (written in C++).
- You will work on the host applications and front-end data presentation (developed in Java).
- You will support third parties (such as Games Engines and IDEs) to integrate with our tools.
- You will drive the success of the ecosystem by developing a performance analysis compliance suite to prove tooling support on new devices and operating systems.
- You will contribute to the development of new features, ensuring that they have excellent test coverage within our CI systems.
- You will enable high quality engineering through approach reviews, code reviews and following modern agile software development process.
What skills, experience and qualifications will you need?
- You will have a good understanding and practical experience of Java, C and/or C++ programming.
- You will have strong abstract reasoning skills with an ability to focus on key concepts at all levels of detail.
- You should have a deep understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- You will have experience with scripting, in a language such as Python, and using the Linux command line.
- You should be motivated, an independent problem solver, technically versatile, willing to be flexible and accept new challenges.
- You shall be able to demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- You will need the ability to work alone as well as in a team.
The following is a selection of skills used across our projects. You do not need any of these to apply or succeed in your application. You shall have the opportunity to develop your skills in some these areas.
- Experience with GLES and Vulkan Graphics APIs.
- Experience with version control systems like Git or SVN.
- Experience with bug tracking systems like Jira.
- Eclipse Framework / RCP application development.
- Experience with Maven
- Experience with testing frameworks such as JUnit and GTest/GMock.
- User Interface Design.
- Basic Linux administration, particularly installation and maintenance.
- Optimising code for performance.
- Android application or games development.
Are you excited by those responsibilities? Are you a fit for those requirements? If so, we'd love to hear from you.
You will be educated to degree level or have similar relevant experience.
About the Development Solutions Group (DSG)
DSG is to help our customers craft creative and energy efficient Arm-Powered products, using powerful and easy to use development tools. Our mission is to build or enable tools that improve Arm system performance, productivity or time to market.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual has the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is essential, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and be responsible for your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps