We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm Research’s Security skills group develops new security-related intellectual property, the seeding of new business opportunities, keeping Arm appraised of recent developments in the computer security field, as well as the integration of emerging security-related technologies into the Arm ecosystem.
The group is seeking a principal research engineer, with experience in security engineering, to join the team in their Cambridge offices.
You will take on a thought-leadership role within the group, and within Arm Research as a whole. In return, you can expect to work on diverse and ever-changing engineering and research projects, including blue-sky development. You will also interact with other parts of Arm, working with front-line engineering teams and have lots of freedom to pursue a research agenda tailored to your particular interests, making use of technologies as you see fit.
This is a senior role suitable for those with either an industrial, academic, or mixed background.
Personality traits: Arm Research Engineers are neither wholly researcher nor wholly engineer, and our staff have a mixture of academic and industrial backgrounds. Accordingly, you will possess a series of personality traits rather than conform to a fixed template:
- Consultant: you have a knowledge of security technologies, with a focus on their application to Arm-based systems. You feel happy acting as a subject-matter authority, a trusted source of knowledge in your area, having acquired expertise in industry, academia, or a mix of both.
- Innovator: you will propose new research projects and develop novel Intellectual Property. We want a disruptor, with strong opinions on how the state of computer security can improve, and ambitious ideas of how this can be attained.
- Engineer: you love hands-on roles wherein ambitious ideas are realised with concrete implementations. You will use your extensive engineering knowledge to help drive existing Security Research Group projects.
- Researcher: you are curious and driven to understand why things work in the way that they do. This helps you spot potential for cross-disciplinary research projects, seeing you work alongside members of other skills groups in Arm Research, potentially far outside your area of immediate expertise.
- Communicator: you will present your work at internal company engineering conferences and meetings, as well as external industry and academic conferences. You will not just have ideas, but also the skills to communicate their importance to others.
- Influencer: in this post you will have great influence within the Security group, Arm Research, and the wider company. You will drive adoption of new security-related technologies and practices within Arm, and help push these into the wider industry. Junior research engineers will look to you for mentorship and advice.
- Teammate: you are happy working with colleagues across multiple locations. There are 10 full-time researcher engineers in our group, as well as interns and junior engineers on graduate rotation. Whilst the majority of our team is in our Cambridge offices, we also have a presence in Austin (Texas), and Austria.
Some representative skills and technologies: our current team members have a range of skills and interests. The group currently has active research projects focussing on Distributed Systems’ security and policy enforcement, next-generation hardware security features, privacy-preserving computation using trusted hardware, virtualisation, automatically analysing the Arm architecture for security holes, and has members active in international standards bodies, driving the standardisation of next-generation security protocols. Recently completed research projects also include the formal verification of security-critical firmware.
The group uses several programming languages and technologies, including C, Scala, OCaml, Rust, and Python; Docker, Kubernetes, seL4, Secure Enclave technologies, TPM, formal methods technologies including SMT, model checking, and interactive theorem proving.
We are specifically seeking a team member with expertise in security engineering for Edge Compute, IoT, Distributed Systems, or allied areas, and who is able to expand the group’s collective skillset whilst being sympathetic to some (or all) of our existing research projects. You should be able to demonstrate some or all of the following skillsets:
- Subject-matter expertise: you have experience in security engineering for Edge Compute, IoT, or Distributed Systems. We welcome applications from people with experience working in academia, industry, or a blend.
- A base of supporting knowledge: you have an awareness of security-related threats, common attacks, and the approaches that can be used to defend against them. A working knowledge of computer architecture will be advantageous when communicating with teams in our product groups.
- Engineering skills: you have the knowledge to design, prototype, and debug new systems, the ability to analyse, understand, and describe existing systems built by others, and the flexibility to learn new programming languages and technologies.
- People manager: your line management experience will be a great addition to our team. You will plan and supervise internship projects and may mentor graduate engineers temporarily rotating into the group.
- Communication and social skills: you are comfortable presenting your work to different audiences and in different formats, both within and outside Arm Research.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual is responsible for the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is critical, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for Progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and be responsible for your own progress
Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps