We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Joining Arm’s HPC Compiler team in Manchester will give you the opportunity to provide automated build, test and development solutions along with support to our internal engineering community creating our suite of tools.
Our HPC compiler and math libraries always support our latest architectural innovations. They are deployed by leading companies and organizations solving fundamental science problems on some of the largest computers in the world.
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
As a DevOps engineer in the compiler team, you will provide modern tools and technologies to support our engineers with first class build and test systems, continuous integration and delivery, to develop and test compilers for Arm architectures. You will join a team of highly skilled and motivated engineers, will promote the dynamic world of DevOps and work with the state-of-the-art techniques and practices. You will have the chance to help create a better development environment for your team, increasing their productivity.
The day-to-day work is dynamic, and the following are examples of tasks you are likely to be involved in:
- Providing infrastructure solutions for the compiler and library engineers, to enable the efficient development of a high-quality, complex software product
- Investigation and implementation of new systems and features
- Requirements analysis and task breakdown
- Providing timely analysis and resolution of issues reported by our developers
- Promoting the DevOps culture inside the team and across Arm
- Communication & collaboration with engineering IT and other Arm infrastructure groups
To be successful in this role, you'll be expected to be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a dedication to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge.
You will value the DevOps culture and contribute to spread and promote it. You will strive to forge positive relationships with your fellows and across other teams in Arm.
You will have a real passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
Education and Qualifications
A good university degree or equivalent on the job experience and knowledge.
Skills and Experience
- A proven good level of proficiency in Python.
- A good level of proficiency in at least one other programming language such as Java, C, C++, Perl and a willingness and capability to learn more.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code concepts and tools
- Experience in Unix (Linux) Systems Administration and shell scripting
On top of this, you will need to have production deployment experience with one or more of the following technology areas:
- Software build and test solutions such as Jenkins, GoCD, Robot framework, TestRail
- Version control and code review tools such as Git, Gerrit, GitHub
- Automation tools like Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Foreman
- Virtualization and cloud technologies such as Docker, Vagrant, OpenStack, Kubernetes, RHEV etc.
- Monitoring, Metrics and results visualization tooling
- Web application development with Flask or similar
Whilst many of these technologies are deployed by the team today we do not expect you to know all of the systems we use ahead of time, and will provide suitable education as required.
You will make the biggest impact in this role if you are:
- Passionate about making a difference
- Able to work independently and in a distributed team
- Flexible and open to new challenges
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our office in Manchester, England hosts diverse teams from throughout Arm including debuggers, HPC tools, technical communications, DevOps infrastructure provision and open-source software development. The office is located in the heart of Manchester city centre allowing easy access to shops, restaurants and a bustling nightlife. Known for its world-renowned sporting connections, Manchester is seen as the United Kingdom's "second city", as it is the most visited city in England by overseas visitors aside from the capital.
11 Portland St
See on Google maps