We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
We are looking for a hands-on distributed systems researcher to join Arm’s data services research team. This is a unique opportunity to join a small start-up-like team and help drive and build next generation data-intensive software systems and analytics services at Arm. You will work closely with Arm’s cloud data services organization, partners, and wider academia to identify promising nascent ideas and develop them into tomorrow’s key software systems, services, and solutions.
What will I be accountable for?
Arm Research plays a central role in identifying gaps in current technologies and in conducting world-leading research to fill those gaps. You will join a team developing fully-managed cloud based data/machine learning (ML) platform and analytics services for ingesting and processing massive amounts of time series data. An ideal candidate will be a hands-on data engineer with deep expertise in distributed systems and in-depth knowledge of database internals (storage formats, indexing, query optimization, concurrency, etc.) and analytics frameworks. You will be expected to identify benefits and limitations of various open source technologies (SQL/NoSQL/time-series databases, messaging systems, big data stream and batch processing systems) and develop scalable and reliable software systems and data pipeline architectures optimized for target use-cases. Your role will encompass advancing the state-of-the-art in time-series data management through contributions to open source software and development of novel database technologies, analytics systems, and ML platform components. You will be encouraged to participate in the wider community through collaborations with academia, contributions to open source software, and publications and presentations in leading systems conferences and forums.
An ideal candidate will have following traits:
- You are a hands-on systems builder.
- You possess keen interest in data/ML engineering, software architecture, and large-scale system design.
- You have significant experience with multiple database technologies and a good understanding of database internals.
- You have worked with several open source data management systems and distributed analytics frameworks such as Postgres, Kafka, Spark, Presto, Cassandra, Flink, etc. When using these systems, you naturally gravitate towards understanding them at an internal architecture level.
- You have deep experience in distributed systems and a healthy dose of obsession about scalability, fault tolerance, and high availability. You are very comfortable diving deep into topics such as consensus protocols, distributed co-ordination, state machine replication, consistency models, etc.
- You possess the ability to see the big picture, question the norm, and articulate the problem.
- You can translate relatively abstract ideas into concrete workable solutions.
- You enjoy experimenting with cutting-edge technologies that may be relatively immature at the time of their use.
- You are good in identifying the technology trade-offs and can synthesize pragmatic solutions to the problems at hand by judiciously leveraging published and open-source technologies.
- You are a strong programmer and are not afraid to dive in large code bases. You take pride in your code and enjoy contributing to open source projects.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science or related disciplines
- Prior experience in building distributed, fault-tolerant software systems, preferably in large-scale data management and analytics
- In depth knowledge of database internals and big-data analytics frameworks
- Knowledge of ML platform and software architecture is a big plus
- Expert level proficiency in at least one programming language such as C/C++/Java/Go/Python/Scala
- Prior experience working with data pipelines and managing large volumes of data in a production environment is a big plus
- Hands-on experience with managed cloud services (such as hosted database as a service) is a big plus
- Track record of contributing to open source software and participating in open source communities is highly desired
- Track record of published research work in leading conferences and forums is highly desired
- Excellent networking and communication skills
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is important, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for Progress
Be your Brilliant Self
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs.
ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
Austin, TX USA
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735
See on Google maps