We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Do you have the background, knowledge and expertise to succeed in the technically challenging role of developing world-class System Software for architected platforms catering to different segments such as Mobile/Server/IoT/Automotive which become reference designs for futuristic devices in the market? If so, then you could be the person we require.
The Platform group within the Arm Open Source Software group are looking for individuals who have the mettle for software development and bring up of Reference Platform in the form of Test Chips/FPGA/Simulation Models. We seek individuals with exposure and knowledge of every level of the System software stack ranging from BareMetal firmware, bootloaders, Kernel and Distros.
We enable our partners to build software on systems which are made up of cutting edge Arm IPs. We develop and contribute to open source projects, providing essential reference implementations and optimisations to key software system components alongside validated software stacks thereby reducing the time to partners spent inventing intelligent devices.
- You will be actively involved in the software design of reference application processor firmware
- Your day to day role will involve Software development, test and debug on various platforms, including software models, development boards and shipping products
- You will be involved in requirements analysis and task breakdown
- We want you to provide technical advice and direction to both Arm’s, and Arm Partners' platform implementation projects
- Your activities will involve upstreaming and maintenance
As an active member of an extended Open Source Software group you can expect to be working face to face with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's cutting edge IP, as well as helping Arm grow its role in new embedded and enterprise market segments.
You are a flexible individual, with a variety of software development skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Qualities
- You have expertise in low level systems software development and a command over a range of related concepts such as bootloaders, device drivers, OS fundamentals preferably Linux, low level power management, developing secure system.
- We expect that you have knowledge of a leading RISC based computer Architecture and to have been involved in Application processor and Microcontroller firmware development
- We value expert knowledge of embedded C and C++ and a good grasp of scripting languages such as Python, Bash, Perl
- You have familiarity with GNU make/Clang/Cmake/LLVM cross compiling techniques.
- In depth knowledge of different IPC protocols in HMP system.
- You will have experience of the software lifecycle: taken complex software from concept, to production and maintenance and an understanding of how to rigorously test software and design software for test
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills: Excellent written and spoken English; can write clear-cut documentation; can influence and build consensus
- Alongside the ability to work independently and in a distributed team you have no issues in interacting directly with key partners and their internal development programs
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a willingness to extend your knowledge
Desirable Skills & Qualities
- We prize experience in porting AOSP on mobile SOC and an understanding of Android build system.
- Knowledge of PCIe, I2C, SPI protocols.
- Experience with GIT/Gerrit configuration management principles
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- You have experience with assembly programming (not necessarily Arm)
- You can show knowledge of software design techniques and how to maintain compatibility alongside familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems
- We value experience with standard firmware implementations: e.g. UEFI, U-Boot or Coreboot
- Knowledge of Yocto, bitbake.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps