We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We have an excellent opportunity for you to join a dynamic, hands-on team for a one-year internship within Arm’s Embedded and Automotive Line of Business (LoB). This is chance to work alongside other engineers and gain valuable experience whilst learning about Arm, our IP and electronics in the automotive industry.
The Vehicle Architecture & Systems Analysis Team provide engineering support to the LoB. This is typically achieved by conducting in-depth engineering analysis followed by producing technical collateral. This technical collateral can take many forms including analysis reports, system teardowns, benchmarking results and system architectural understanding.
The team is also responsible for producing systems to showcase automotive proof of concepts. You will be responsible for specifying and developing the appropriate software and in some cases the hardware to support these systems.
As an intern at Arm, you will work on projects that have real impact whilst developing key transferable skills. We believe in developing talent for the future, and therefore seek to offer many of our interns a graduate position once they have finished their studies. You will also receive ongoing support from your line manager who will offer regular 1:1 meetings with feedback and opportunities for development. You will have a certain amount of flexibility and freedom to decide how to complete your assigned work.
We offer a competitive salary and other benefits such as opportunities to be involved in the many social events that are organized within the company.
What will I be accountable for?
Working with senior members of the team, you will work on projects which include:
- Building and coding applications to bring proof of concepts and demo systems to life.
- System level benchmarking to aid in competitive analysis.
- System analysis looking at performance, processing utilisation, memory bandwidth etc.
- Writing up your finding and communicating them with the LoB and engineering divisions.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
We are looking for students who are currently undertaking an undergraduate degree in computer science, electronic engineering or similar. If you are passionate about technology in general but especially passionate about automotive technologies such as infotainment and autonomous driving, this could be the role for you.
The essential you should have skills for the role include:
- Strong programming and scripting skills with good working knowledge of at least one programming language.
- Experience with Linux operating systems and shell scripting.
- Some experiencing of developing Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good written and spoken English communication, capable of writing reports.
- Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges.
Any of the below would also be useful:
- Experience with Arm based single board computers such Raspberry Pi, 96Boards, Odriod, BeagleBoard etc.
- Experience with embedded microcontroller boards or hobbyist platforms such as Mbed, Arduino, Micro:bit etc.
- Low level programming in C.
- Some knowledge of microprocessor-based systems and computer architecture.
- Experience with application frameworks such as Qt or HTML5.
- Electronics experience such as simple circuit design.
What are the desired traits for this role?
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps