We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm's Machine Learning group are looking for an engineer with experience of machine learning and mobile devices to help unpick the complex world of use cases in the client market. You would be responsible for understanding and helping to build complex ML-based solutions to real problems faced by high end mobile phones, TVs, and laptops.
You will have the rare opportunity to lead a truly multi-discipline team to explore existing, and build new, machine learning techniques. Understanding how they are then applied alongside more “classic” techniques to solve our customers' real world problems with machine learning.
About the role
Your role would be to deeply understand these use cases with the applied machine learning team, and work closely with Arm's system architects to define solutions to these problems. You will also collaborate closely with the ML marketing group to define Arm's technical view of practical ML, help customers integrate these solutions and deliver their products to the market.
In addition to ML experience, you'll need the experience to co-design solutions with teams whose expertise is primarily in mobile and embedded systems, and to work with them on the implications of ML on system designs. Working with and around feedback and constraints from the real world SoC deployments where other priorities may override the ideal systems if they were designed for ML alone. The best solutions should exploit the whole system as efficiently as possible.
We’re looking for engineers with hands on experience in one or more of the major ML frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch) and ideally also with experience deploying inference in a mobile or embedded environment. Knowledge of the theory and concepts involved in ML is also needed, so fair comparisons of different approaches can be made.
As an in-depth technical role, you will need to understand the complex applications you analyse in detail and communicate them in their simplest form to help include them in product designs, where you will be able to influence both IP and system architecture.
The ideal person is someone with a keen problem solving mind, passionate about state of the art machine learning, and its ability to find solutions to new and complex problems. In this dynamic field, being able to provide a clear view of the different options for solving each problem and the trade-offs between them will be the biggest challenge.
Essential skills and experience:
- Have experience working with on embedded systems and the constraints and system issues that are present
- Strong communication skills - in this role you will work on these developments with marketing and share them with customers
- Have demonstrated experience training and debugging neural networks with TensorFlow 1.x and python (both legacy-style and tf.keras would be an advantage)
- Be comfortable using TensorFlow tooling to visualize, transform and convert to TFLite
- Understand quantization, sparsity and have experience applying these to neural networks
- Have a strong attention to detail to ensure use cases you investigate are well understood
Ideal Practical skills:
- Android development and toolchain experience a strong advantage
- Linux experience and development with Arm processors
- Experience with multiple NN frameworks and converting models between frameworks
- Cloud training of networks and using Amazon EC2 experience an advantage
- Experience of the inner workings of Tensorflow or Tensorflow Lite
- Strong knowledge of PyTorch and Caffe
- Reasonable experience with C++
- You have familiarity in developing compute-intensive applications and ideally would have industry experience of product development
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our open culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- Seek diverse views and involve others - brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength - widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions - stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Take responsibility for your ongoing development, and facilitate development of those you lead
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps