We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This role presents a fantastic opportunity to move into Machine Learning (ML), the key development for the future of computing. Working on the cutting edge of Arm technology, you will be creating the software that powers the next generation of mobile apps, portable devices, home automation, smart cities, self-driving cars, and much more.
About the role
The Machine Learning group in Arm is creating a specialised Neural Network Processor (NPU) to accelerate these workloads on edge and data center devices. Located at Arm's Global HQ in Cambridge, the NPU software team is ramping up to release quarterly feature updates to this processor line. Your technical strength and focus on empowering our users will embed this design in millions of world-changing devices.
What will I be accountable for?
As an embedded software engineer you will be driving the design and implementation of the firmware for the NPU. This includes thinking about areas such as low-level event handling and concurrent programming, hardware and DMA engine programming and security capabilities.
More than anything else, you must have a willingness to absorb as much as possible about this new frontier. Given the impact and reach of this field, you’ll be encouraged to share this knowledge with other specialists across the company.
What technical skills and experience should I have?
- Knowledge of ARM assembly language and/or architecture
- Exposure to low-level programming or driver development, including C/C++
- Understanding of computer architecture and micro-architecture concepts
- Experience across different development platforms, from software models to development boards and shipping products
- Experience of the software lifecycle, having taken complex software from feasibility through to production and support
- Understanding of how to rigorously test software and design software for test
Knowledge of ML tools and techniques are not required, as learning on the job is possible. But if you have dabbled already, be sure to let us know.
What about interpersonal skills?
- Capable of working independently, or in small groups.
- High degree of initiative and a proven problem solver.
- Fluent in English language, both written and spoken.
- Good communicator, personable and able to work and communicate at a detailed or high level.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps