We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you highly inquisitive with a committed approach to improving performance? Do you want to make an impact on the future of Smartphone and Laptop computing?
We are looking for experienced engineers with a strong understanding of computer architecture and performance analysis to investigate emerging use-cases such as AR and ML to help define future IP from Arm and our partners.
About the role
As a senior member of the engineering team you will lead performance analysis investigations, producing data-led analysis and conclusions which help define requirements for future Client compute solutions.
Client computing devices are expected to deliver incredible performance across an increasing range of diverse use cases including AAA quality gaming, compelling AR experiences and applications with deeply embedded AI and ML.
You will use your knowledge of hardware and software to build a deep understanding of critical use cases. You will look at how workloads utilise available compute and memory resources, how advancements in SoC topologies, processor design and software will help improve user experience.
You will primarily be responsible for:
- Development, de-composition and characterisation of workloads based on complex real world use-cases
- Production of reliable, robust research and analytics to inform future engineering and technology requirements
- Simulation of future SoC IP configurations in order to explore full system performance and to help influence partners IP selection.
- Profiling generation-on-generation performance of mobile SoCs to fully understand the competitiveness of Arm based devices.
What skills, experience and qualifications should I bring?
- University degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, although other disciplines will also be considered
- A proven understanding of computing hardware in areas such as CPU and GPU architecture, and ideally SoC design
- Practical knowledge of factors which influence device performance
- Software development experience relevant to workload analysis and benchmarking in languages such as Python and Java
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and confidence presenting data for different audiences
- Excellent communications skills, ambitious and well-organised
- Highly productive with the ability to work well as part of a team
About the team
We are a team of highly motivated engineers ensuring that Arm maintain its leadership in the mobile computing by helping our partners build competitive devices. Using detailed competitive analysis, rigorous workload characterisation and advanced software modelling, we are successfully influencing Arm engineering teams and its partners.
The engineers within the team have a diverse range of skills and experience allowing us to expertly understand software from userspace to firmware, and device-level hardware through to the detailed microarchitecture.
The team focuses on how a user perceives the performance of a mobile device, in terms of responsiveness, smoothness, energy and thermal efficiency. We then explore how improvements in processor, memory and SoC design can maximise the end user experience.
At Arm you will enjoy working in a highly stimulating collaborative environment. Our team works closely with CPU, GPU and media design teams, as well as the primary mobile OS vendors.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK. We are hiring a number of software engineers at this location.
Opening date: 10 June 2019
Closing date: 7 July 2019
Location: Cambridge, UK
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps