We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the Role
As an Implementation Methodology Engineer with Arm you will be a part of the Physical Design Group team that creates innovative implementation techniques that result in the best power efficiency, highest performance and lowest cost for Arm processor cores. You will be responsible for benchmarking Arm core implementations, suggesting new cells and new implementation techniques, and work with EDA software providers and foundries. Using your skills and experience; you will develop improved synthesis, place, and route flows, and analyze and document the results. You will also support internal and external partners to replicate the results. This role will give you the opportunity to explore the latest process technologies and develop ways to leverage those technologies’ strengths and mitigate their weaknesses.
Our early engagement with processor architects, EDA software providers and semiconductor manufacturers gives a you a unique ability to demonstrate the best implementations of new processors in the latest process technologies. ARM’s Physical Design Group comprises some of the industry’s leading experts in deep sub-micron circuit design, implementation and design for manufacturing (DFM) techniques. This position is an exciting opportunity for a physical digital design professional to work in our advanced products team with the world’s most successful physical design team, the newest process technologies, and the designers of the latest ARM processor cores to pioneer the implementation of power efficient products for the future.
What will I be accountable for?
- Developing innovative scripts, checkers, flows and other automation to simplify the design process.
- Knowledge of industry standard software for synthesis, place and route, and timing analysis and their associated programming languages and algorithms to develop new/improved implementation techniques.
- The ability to analyze and interpret implementation results and identify issues with the physical IP, process technology and/or EDA tool.
- The ability to learn about Arm core and graphical micro-architecture and how that relates to power, performance, area and yield
- Understanding or an ability to learn a wide variety of industry standard modeling formats including Liberty, Verilog, LEF, Milkyway, SPICE, and CDL
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
- A BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines.
- 6+ years of relevant design experience (for BSEE)
- 4+ years of relevant design experience (for MSEE)
- Strong scripting/programming skills (Perl, TCL, C/C++/Java or equivalents)
- Examples of innovative, algorithmic problem solving
- Be willing to improve flows through iteration and repeated attempts to solve difficult problems
- Strong understanding of the algorithms used by EDA tools
- An understanding of layout at the transistor level
- An understanding of semiconductor fabrication technology
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognize the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs.
ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
Austin, TX USA
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735
See on Google maps