We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Would you like to help us continue deploying billions of successful devices around the world, many of them enabling safety critical environments such as automotive or robotics?
We are looking for outstanding engineers with different experience levels to be part of our STL (Software Test Library) development team within our CPU group in Cambridge, UK. As part of your responsibilities, you will develop safety-critical software (often written in assembly and C) tightly couple with the internals of CPU design. You will also identify and build creative hardware features inside the CPU that improve the effectiveness of our solutions for segments where safety is of paramount importance without negatively affecting the power, performance and/or area of the core.
This software executes opportunistically when the hardware is not fully utilized and performs continuous in-depth hardware diagnostics while the system is in operation. It identifies and notifies about functional misbehaviors derived from permanent faults triggered by natural hardware wear-out, or other uncontrollable factors before they may translate into catastrophic system failures with undesirable and even dangerous consequences.
If you are passionate about understanding the interaction between hardware and software, have experience on some HDL language (Verilog or VHDL) and can program on assembly and/or C, this could be an excellent opportunity for you. We work on a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment that will motivate you to further improve your skills and also contribute and get deep knowledge on Arm CPU designs and development processes. Would you accept the challenge?
STL is a fundamental piece of the development strategy for sectors with strong safety requirements like automotive, health or robotics. Working with us, you are going to deeply influence and interact on the development of successful solutions for this sectors in conjunction with our multidisciplinary team.
We are an equal opportunity employer with an open culture and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
As design engineer on STLs you will join our team and share the following responsibilities:
- You will work on the STL design specifications, verification plan and the safety documents as per ISO26262 and IEC61508.
- With your help, we will build diagnostic software to target CPU sub-units like ALU, pre-fetchers, branch predictors, cache controllers, memory systems, etc.
- You will envision hardware design features that will improve STL effectiveness on ongoing and future CPU developments. You will also interact with the rest of the designers to implement them with minimum impact on area, performance and power.
- We will confirm with your support that the software as well as the STL-specific hardware features meet the specifications and work properly on different CPU configurations.
- You will take part of the responsibility of generating the safety analysis of the STLs.
Education & Qualifications
You should ideally have a good university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or Electronic Engineering. Other science degrees would be considered with meaningful working experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Creative open-minded attitude with strong motivation to resolve challenging technical problems.
- Excellent team working skills and ability to understand and communicate technical concepts.
- Willingness to explore, learn, improve and to go above and beyond.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of computer architecture and micro-architecture.
- Familiar with C language and assembly language preferably Arm ISA.
- Experience with HDL languages like Verilog, SystemVerilog or VHDL.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Previous experience developing STL/SBIST code ideally for FuSa (Functional Safety) is valued.
- Exposure to complex RTL design, synthesis and verification in e.g. Verilog and SystemVerilog.
- Experience of ISO26262 and/or IEC61508 functional safety standards and associated certification.
- Experience of fault coverage, fault simulation and DFT.
- General understanding of operating systems and scripting languages like python is useful.
We not I
Real passion for progress
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global ARM community thrive
- No individual has right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is essential, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
Be your brilliant self
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and lead your own progress
ARM is committed to global talent acquisition, offering an attractive relocation package.
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse organisation of dedicated, creative and highly talented engineers. By enabling a dynamic, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unrivaled contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps