The Leadership Computing Facility at Argonne National Laboratory (ALCF) seeks well-prepared candidates in chemistry, physics, biology, engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, especially with an interest in the convergence of simulation, data science, and artificial intelligence for exascale computational science, for multiple positions as postdoctoral fellows.
The positions will provide an extraordinary opportunity to advance breakthrough scientific discoveries on Aurora, one of the world’s first exascale systems for science research. The ESP is preparing a suite of multidisciplinary applications to launch some of the world’s first exascale computational science research on Aurora, the exascale supercomputer we will stand up in 2021. This is a job posting is for multiple future opportunities in the following skillsets:
- Computational chemistry and materials science—electronic structure, catalysis, and/or experience with graph analytics and machine learning/deep learning
- Computational physics—high-energy physics, cosmology, and incorporation of data science methodologies in experimental/observational and simulation workflows
- Computational biology—deep learning in cancer drug response, in-situ data analytics in circulatory-system flows
- Computational fluid dynamics—incorporation of data-driven reduced-order models in aerodynamic flows
- Machine learning, data analysis, and applied statistics as methodologies in computational science
This is an Evergreen job posting which allows candidates to apply once to be considered for multiple job requisitions; you may be asked to apply to a specific job posting in the future.
- Applicants should have a doctorate degree in chemistry, physics, engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or a related discipline.
- Applicants should have documented and comprehensive expertise and/or experience in computational science and/or data-driven computational science.
- Programming expertise in C++, Python, Fortran, or another programming language is essential; experience with parallel computing, including MPI, OpenMP, CUDA, SYCL, OpenCL, or Kokkos is valuable.
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning frameworks and tools is useful
- Openings are available immediately, but there is flexibility in start dates.
- More information on the Early Science Program at Argonne may be found at https://esp.alcf.anl.gov. Feel free to contact email@example.com by email with specific questions.
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where world-class researchers work alongside experts from industry, academia, and other government laboratories to address vital national challenges in clean energy, environment, technology, and national security. We pursue big, ambitious ideas that redefine what is possible. Our pursuit of groundbreaking discoveries pushes the boundaries of fundamental science, applied science, and engineering to solve complex challenges and develop useful technologies that can transform the marketplace and change the world.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.