The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by providing supercomputing resources and expertise to the research community. ALCF computing resources—available to researchers from academia, industry, and government agencies—support large-scale, computationally intensive projects aimed at solving some of the world's most complex and challenging scientific problems.
The ALCF has an opening for a postdoctoral position on evaluating the efficacy of AI architectures for scientific machine learning and on the design of next generation AI architectures for science. In particular, the ALCF is exploring using novel AI hardware working in collaboration with vendors, including Cerebras, Sambanova, Groq, Nvidia, Intel, among others, for scientific machine learning. We are work with a diverse set of science applications, including but not limited to: Computational Chemistry, Plasma Physics, High Energy Physics, analysis of Light Source data such as that from the Advanced Photon Source, Biology, Astronomy, and other science disciplines. The successful candidate will be expected to implement, optimize and scale machine learning models on cutting edge AI hardware and systems to fully exploit the architectural and software features these systems. The candidate will also work on research and development on how to integrate and scale AI architectures with existing and upcoming supercomputers at the facility to accelerate science insights.
- Recent PhD (within 3 years) in a physical science, computer science, or engineering or related field.
- Comprehensive experience programming in one or more programming languages such as C, C++, and Python
- Experience in profiling and performance analysis.
- Experience with machine learning methods and deep learning frameworks, including Tensorflow and PyTorch is desirable
- Experience in heterogenous programming, including GPU programming, compilers and parallel programming is valuable.
- Ability to create, maintain, and support high-quality software is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to work with and contribute to domain-specific software and models.
- Good communications skills and previous experience in writing technical papers and presentations at national and international symposia is expected.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.