The incumbent will study aspects of the interconnect hardware and software for one of the world’s first exascale computer systems to be deployed at Argonne National Laboratory. The successful candidate is expected to work closely with teams across the Argonne computing divisions and with vendor partners to evaluate the characteristics of HPC interconnects and communication runtimes such as MPI and improve their use by applications. Network simulation and modeling along with evaluations on current generation production systems are expected to be key elements of this work. The extreme levels of parallelism available on exascale machines combined with their complex interconnect characteristics create unique opportunities and challenges in understand the key communication patterns in exascale applications and how they perform on next generation networks.
- A doctorate degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related discipline.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more HPC programming language such as C, C++, Fortran and Python.
- Experience in parallel and/or distributed computing.
- Significant experience with scaling and tuning MPI applications, experience with other parallel computing models is an advantage.
- Experience in shared memory programming models such as OpenMP, or Pthreads.
- Experience with using discrete event simulators such as CODES or SST is desirable.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.