Argonne National Laboratory is searching for a talented Project Manager to join its Sustainability Program within the Infrastructure Services Directorate.
The Sustainability Project Manager manages a portfolio of projects to support Argonne’s Sustainability Program including projects to address energy, water, and waste management, LEED and High Performing Sustainable Buildings, renewable energy, green mobility and environmental stewardship. Projects include both infrastructure improvements and implementation of policies, procedures and operational programs related to sustainability. This role uses knowledge and experience to plan and direct technical programs/projects from initiation through delivery, under the direction of the Sustainability Program Manager, and in coordination with the Sustainability Team, institutional stakeholders and with work performed in other departments.
A successful candidate would be able to work with a diverse set of stakeholders to plan and implement sustainability projects that help achieve the laboratory’s sustainability goals.
- Provides single point accountability for project delivery and often includes technical subject matter experts, licensed engineers and project managers with external certifications.
- Refines project scope, evaluates of functional and operational requirements, design, testing, and activation of capital assets, facility modifications or implementation of business processes.
- Develops resource-loaded, time-phased, logic driven project schedules supported by internal Project Controls Staff.
- Continuously reviews status of programs/projects and budgets and Earned Value Management parameters; conducts technical design reviews and management assessments; prepares or directs preparation of status reports and other documentation.
- Implements change control process and recommends addition, expansion, or discontinuance of scope to ensure successful completion of the project.
- Use quantitative and qualitative analysis to develop and improve internal processes and select implementation and acquisition strategies.
- Develops, implements, and maintains multi-year operational programs including facilitation and interaction with broad and diverse organizational resources.
- Supports annual reporting for the sustainability program and contributes to annual update of sustainability strategic plan and annual budget.
- Maintains effective communication with clients, contractors and other project team members.
- Achieves greater results by working together across boundaries, actively sharing information, and promoting a sense that we're all in this together.
- Establishes courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Actively participates as team member to move the team toward the completion of goals; facilitating goal accomplishment; listening to and fully involving others in team decisions and actions; valuing and using individual differences and talents; sharing important or relevant information with the team.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Skill in preparing scopes of work, developing project specifications, estimating the cost, and managing installation, construction, and/or operational programs.
- Knowledge of personnel and project management principles and tools.
- Skill and demonstrated expertise in management and leadership techniques and in technical direction and supervision.
- Oral and written communication skills and the ability to works with all level of internal and external contacts and to build excellent working relationships.
- Skill in negotiation and the ability to achieve designated project goals.
- Knowledge and experience with environmental science, sustainability, renewable energy, earth science (including pollution prevention), chemistry, civil or environmental engineering, or energy engineering (mechanical or electrical).
- Bachelor’s degree and 6 years or more of management and technical experience including broad-based energy, infrastructure or environmental projects.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Ability to perform return on investment analysis for sustainability projects.
- Experience performing drawing, specification and design reviews and coordinating comment summary and incorporation into project deliverables.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing projects to reduce environmental impact or achieve sustainability goals.
- Considerable knowledge of sustainability principles, practices, codes and standards, as applied to the delivery of projects.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; develops and presents findings from project planning and implementation to internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and to achieve desired goals on schedule and within budget.
- Professional registration in one or more of the following is highly desirable: Project Management (PMP), Engineering (PE), Architecture (AIA), Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or Sustainability (ISSP-SA or ISSP-CSP).
Entrance to this level will require demonstrated and or documented previous experience or expertise in project management of a commensurate scope. The incumbent will further be expected to continue their professional development through participation in program reviews and professional certification.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.