The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by designing and providing world-leading computing facilities in partnership with the computational science community. We help researchers solve some of the world’s largest and most complex problems with our unique combination of supercomputing resources and computational science expertise.
We invite you to apply for a Computer Scientist position with the ALCF. You will join the data sciences group and provide technology vision, research, development and support in leveraging machine learning to glean insights from large-scale datasets being produced by computational simulations, experiments and observations in domains including material science, genomics, neuroscience, engineering, and high energy physics. You will work in a highly collaborative environment involving science application teams, academia, industry as well as other national labs and agencies. You will have the unique opportunity to interact with vendors in the design of HPC systems to facilitate AI for science and with diverse application teams in the design and development of AI driven science.
Ideal candidates are expected to have:
- A PhD or equivalent experience in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, computational science or in a related field.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of one or more of machine learning, data mining, statistics and high-performance computing for data-driven science
- Strong background in mathematical optimization or linear algebra.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more programming languages such as Python, C, C++ and Scala.
- Significant experience with machine learning toolkits such as PyTorch, Tensorflow or scikit-learn, and with analysis packages using Matlab, R and Python.
- Significant experience in analysis of data with applications.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Software development practices and techniques for computational science problems.
- Good experience and skills in interdisciplinary research involving mathematicians, computer scientists, and application scientists.
- Ability to mentor postdoctoral researchers and students.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Parallel computing experience is highly desirable.
- Good ability to provide project leadership.
- Collaborative skills including the ability to work well with other laboratories and universities, supercomputer centers, and industry.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD2 or RD3) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The basic requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent.
- RD3 Requirements: Bachelor’s and 8+ years; Master’s and 5+ years; or Doctorate and 4+ years; or equivalent.
- Cover letter; upload PDF
- Curriculum vitae, including list of publications, software architected with relevant repository URLs, abstracts, and significant presentations
- List of four reference names and email addresses. Referees may be a member of the dissertation committee, colleagues, supervisors, or professors, who can attest to your ability and potential.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.