Argonne National Laboratory has an opening for an Integrated Communications role within the Communications and Public Affairs (CPA) Division. This role will support the Photon Sciences (PSC) Directorate.
The PSC Integrated Communications role, builds and reinforces the Lab’s key objectives and reputation by promoting a steady stream of integrated marketing communications and content for key internal and external audiences that represents the directorate’s science, scientists/engineers/technologist, and facilities. Under the direction of a Head of Directorate Communications, the Integrated Communications role is responsible for maintaining positive working relationships and collaborating with the directorate and CPA to ensure that the directorate’s content is well represented in the appropriate channels for the appropriate audiences; executing communications initiatives within the directorate; as well as supporting stakeholders inside the directorate. The role will largely focus on mining and writing content as well as distributing that content through numerous communications channels.
- Identify interesting and meaningful story content by exploring the work being conducted at the Advanced Photon Source.
- Write and develop content based on the above and, leveraging CPA’s distribution channels, promote that content to various audiences, key stakeholders and share with the Directorate’s channels, as appropriate.
- Work across CPA to execute articles, feature stories and press releases that touch other directorates and are part of the Argonne story.
- Plan, coordinate and execute original communications products and publications related to special events and programs for the directorate.
- Understand the work of the directorate, its key priorities, objectives, sponsors and partners.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the subject matter and trends applicable to the directorate’s science and partnerships.
- Write a variety of communications from news releases to internal memos to web copy.
- Coordinate and execute various communications efforts within the directorate.
- Serve as a representative of the directorate on relevant cross-laboratory initiatives. Build relationships with researchers and leaders within the directorate.
- Work with Head of Directorate Communications to ensure that all directorate communications align with overall Lab messaging and branding.
- Attend regular Communications division meetings and act as a CPA ambassador to Argonne’s internal and external audiences.
- Seek opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Argonne communications.
- Serve as a member of the Argonne Crisis Response team.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experiences:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6+ years of experience or equivalent.
- Ability to develop compelling editorial content to tell the PSC story.
- Ability to translate scientific and technical content for both basic and sophisticated audiences, focusing on the impact of the work in real-world terms.
- Ability to write for a variety of formats, in varying levels of formality, with strategic attention to tone.
- Deadline driven, highly responsive without creating an atmosphere of stress or anxiety.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing and communications.
- Broad-based integrated marketing communications generalist experience in events, internal communications, crisis communications, media relations, digital/social, proposals and branding.
- Strong project management; highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to conceptualize major elements of print, video or other creative products, including the delivery of clear and concise communication to appropriate audiences and team members.
- Demonstrated expertise in reaching internal and external audiences, using traditional and digital means of delivery.
- Client service mindset, able to take in and clarify objectives and goals of researchers and leadership.
- Strong teaming and collaboration skills.
- Outstanding communications skills: written, verbal, interpersonal.
- Flexible and adaptable with highly fluid situations and strong personalities.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver measurable results (increased awareness, higher client satisfaction, increased engagement, etc.)
- Ability to negotiate with all levels and build and maintain positive interpersonal relationships throughout the organization.
- Steward of Lab resources.
- Passion for the mission of the Lab.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & experiences:
- Knowledge of characteristics of audiences for scientific and business information.
- Knowledge of fundamental facts and principles of the basic sciences, scientific and engineering terminology and R&D practices.
- Familiarity with Argonne policies and procedures regarding technical publishing.
- Broad based integrated marketing communications generalist with 5-7 years’ experience in events, internal communications, crisis communications, media relations, digital/social, proposals and branding.
- Experience with scientific communications in a corporate, agency, university or non-profit setting.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.