The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility’s (ALCF) mission is to accelerate major scientific discoveries and engineering breakthroughs for humanity by providing supercomputing resources and expertise to the research community. ALCF computing resources—available to researchers from academia, industry, and government agencies—support large-scale, computationally intensive projects aimed at solving some of the world's most complex and challenging scientific problems.
We have an opening for a data services architect to research and develop solutions aimed at improving scientific discovery, productivity and collaboration in data-rich environments. The candidate will design intuitive science focused web-based tools for teams and communities to manage, curate, analyze, share and collaborate with the data generated by their science campaigns. The successful candidate will contribute as a member of a dynamic, multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to develop innovative techniques that enable large-scale data-driven discoveries on next-generation high performance architectures. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of solving data and computing solutions needed to answer pressing scientific questions that face the nation today.
Ideal Candidates are expected to have:
- Experience developing intuitive front-end user-interfaces to data
- Significant software development practices and techniques for computational and data-intensive problems
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
Desirable knowledge and skills:
- Collaborative skills including the ability to work well in interdisciplinary teams and with other laboratories, universities and industry.
- Ability to integrate data from multiple sources, including databases and filesystems, and dealing with structured and unstructured scientific datasets
- Experience with automated testing, continuous integration and delivery tools
- Experience building and deploying persistent web-services and applications
This job description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
This role can be hired at one of two levels, and the requirements for each are as follows:
- RD2: Bachelor’s degree + 5 years of experience, or a Master’s + 3 years, or a PhD, or equivalent
- RD3: Bachelor’s degree + 8 years of experience, or a Master’s + 5 years, or a PhD + 4 years of experience, or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.