Mechanical Engineer applies knowledge of engineering principles across the life cycle of solid-state and electromechanical products. Responsibilities include new development activities as well as support of legacy products. Candidate must be a self-starter and able to work in an aggressive, fast-paced and flexible engineering environment.
• Analyzes customer requirements and performs 3-D modeling, detailed mechanical design, troubleshooting, validation, and qualification of power, analog, and digital products.
• Has a strong grasp of packaging power electronics and data acquisition electronics for use in a wide range of harsh electrical and environmental conditions.
• Has strong knowledge of various material properties and use, fabrication methods (mold, machine, bend, 3-D print), surface coatings, finishes, adhesives, lubricants, and enclosure environmental sealing.
• Performs finite element analysis, thermal analysis, and flow analysis activities to manage weight, fatigue, resonance, and thermal performance.
• Provides expert advice, troubleshooting, and product support during the entire life cycle from initial specification to full production and field support.
• Develops technical reports and documentation; prepares technical proposals and cost estimates. Develops and manages BOMs and design documentation; performs configuration control activities.
• Interfaces and visits customers in support of design, integration, troubleshooting and field support. Prepares and delivers technical presentations and participates in design reviews.
• Provides design leadership, coaching, and support in the effective use of engineering practices to analyze, specify, design, document and test products.
• Works cooperatively in a design build team environment with goals of specification compliance, manufacturability, testability, achieving cost targets and schedule adherence.
• Evaluates and recommends tools, training, and suppliers to advance engineering capability.
• Researches, recommends, and develops technologies, processes, and methods to meet and advance both customer and AMETEK goals.
• Must be personable, possess good communications skills, both written and oral, and be comfortable presenting before an audience.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in electronics and electromechanical packaging.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.
• Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, including EXCEL and PowerPoint.
• Expertise with SolidWorks™ suite of design tools preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience with airborne product design, DO-160, and MIL-STD-810 preferred.
• Estimated Travel 10-15%, primarily to our Binghamton facility.
• Physical requirements must be performed with or without reasonable accommodation.