Gatan, an AMETEK business, that was acquired in 2019 for $925M, is a high technology company and a recognized world leader in the design and manufacture of state-of-the-art electron microscopy equipment.
There is always more to see. And when you’re working with electron microscopy, the closer you can get to your sample, the more of its secrets it will reveal. That’s why at Gatan we have spent the last 50 years working with our customers to push the boundaries of what can be done with electron microscopy. Together, we have invented new approaches to problems that deliver fresh understanding.
With state-of-the-art cameras, imaging energy filters, specimen preparation equipment and other EM products and solutions, we take the most powerful microscopy on earth and make it work even harder for you.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer that will be based out of our Pleasanton, CA office.
Designs and analyzes mechanical systems, equipment and packaging. Conducts feasibility studies and testing on new and modified designs. Directs support personnel in the preparation of detailed design, design testing and prototype fabrication. Provides design information to drafting for packaging documentation.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
• Work on complex mechanical design of cameras for SEM and TEM.
• System level understanding of electro-mechanical design.
• Demonstrated ability to work with Electrical and Controls engineering to complete the mechanical design and integration of PCA and other electrical components into camera body.
• Understanding of manufacturing practices, DFM, and ability to communicate with manufacturing and NPI Engineering.
• Demonstrated ability to lead more junior level engineers through development projects.
• Demonstrated ability to break down difficult technical concepts and explain it to groups outside Mechanical Engineering, including Electrical, Controls, Manufacturing, NPI, Service, and upper management.
• Demonstrated ability to take full ownership of a new product design and drive from C&F to Volume release.
• Shall conduct design reviews at peer, program and upper management levels as needed.
• Shall respond to customer needs for quick turn-around of specials, custom designs and modifications to meet specific performance requirements as a one-off product.
• Proven experience leading a team with a focus on quality and on time delivery.
• Mechanical design experience in the following areas: precision mechanisms, nm level position and motion control, high vacuum, design for high voltage, system level design and integration, prototyping..
• In-depth knowledge of advanced engineering materials, ANSI/ASME Y14.5M drawing standards, (GD) tolerancing, surface finishes.
• Design for serviceability and manufacturability.
• Extensive experience with an advanced 3D CAD system (Inventor, ProE, SolidWorks, etc.). Experience with Autodesk Inventor is a plus.
• Strong work ethic. Team player with strong initiative, ownership and follow through.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Solid engineering methodology and process oriented design.
• Prototype development and testing
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: 8 years experience (minimum), previous experience in instrument or semiconductor equipment mechanical design, vacuum, thermal, mechanism, X-ray shielding, mechatronics (not all these are required). 3D CAD, FEA, PLM software previous experience.
FEA, Agile PLM, experience with HALT/HASS, high voltage design, electron or ion beam instruments, magnetic shielding, x-ray radiation shielding, coatings, and paint.
• BSME, MSME preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• General office environment.