Gatan, an AMETEK business, that was acquired in 2019 for $925M, is a high technology company and a recognized world leader in the design and manufacture of state-of-the-art electron microscopy equipment.
There is always more to see. And when you’re working with electron microscopy, the closer you can get to your sample, the more of its secrets it will reveal. That’s why at Gatan we have spent the last 50 years working with our customers to push the boundaries of what can be done with electron microscopy. Together, we have invented new approaches to problems that deliver fresh understanding.
With state of the art cameras, imaging energy filters, specimen preparation equipment and other EM products and solutions, we take the most powerful microscopy on earth and make it work even harder for you.
We are currently seeking a Senior Applications Software Engineer for our Pleasanton, CA location.
• Partner with applications scientists, product management and software engineering team in the design and development of software packages used to collect, analyze, and process EM data.
o Design and implement application software, including analysis, data processing and GUI.
o Help optimize software performance using multi-threading, GPU’s, etc.
o Investigate and work on related problems, such as extremely large data management issues.
o Work with application scientist to debug and fix software defects.
•Provide support to application scientists.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and develop software products using C++, C#, object-oriented methodologies, and the STL to automate analytical instruments and analyze collected data.
• Coordinate all work with software engineering manager.
• Work directly with PM, App Science, and Software engineering manager to define project goals.
• Interact with any other engineering departments as needed by projects.
• Report on project status in accordance with defined project plans.
Required Knowledge Skills and Experience:
• Self motivated and capable of working remotely.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willing to learn new techniques and some science.
• Willing to explore and understand the larger existing code base when designing solutions.
• At least five years experience in C++, C# and OOP.
• Prefer design rather than organic evolution of code.
• Familiarity with C++ standard library, including containers and smart pointers.
• BS and/or MS degree in computer science, electrical engineering, physics or related field.
• Experience with Visual Studio environment and developing on a Windows 64-bit platform.
• Strong background in high level GUI development.
• Experience with MFC, .NET framework and WPF.
• Prefer experience with software development for Scientific or Medical Instrumentation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.