Gatan, Inc. is the world's leading manufacturer of instrumentation and software used to enhance and extend the operation and performance of electron microscopes. The Pleasanton office is an active research and development environment where new products are constantly being tested and improved for the wider microscopy community. Further information about Gatan can be found at www.gatan.com
Gatan Inc. is currently seeking an expert in cryo-electron microscopy to join our applications team. This role is for you if you are passionate about the needs of the cryoEM community and want to help develop new products and workflows that will advance structural biology. In this role, you will work in a multi-team environment, interacting with our engineering, R&D, marketing, sales, and service teams to champion, develop and support transmission electron microscopy software and hardware solutions for the structural biology community.
• Continuously review industry trends and customer feedback to anticipate future market needs
• Synthesize complex and diverse information, collect and research data, and use both intuition and experience to assist product team in developing requirements for next generation products and workflows.
• Characterize and provide feedback on the performance and use of scientific software and instrumentation for cryoEM.
• Establish reference sites and work with these sites to generate application notes, case studies, and white papers
• Work with product team to drive excellence in customer applications & technical support for both the pre-sales process and troubleshooting.
• Partner with internal teams and KOLs to help demonstrate and communicate the unique features of our product portfolio
• Assist product team in creation and maintenance of sales and marketing collateral
• Work directly with sales and technical support teams to understand customer needs and provide expert guidance on products, services, and solution positioning.
• Prepare and present seminars to customers, potential customers and employees as requested.
• Demonstrate the capabilities of our camera, energy filter, holder, specimen preparation and software product lines to customers who are interested in doing cryo-EM Training
• Develop and deliver expert technical training for customers
• Provide application/technical training to sales representatives and collaborate with them to develop technical selling strategies.
• Contribute scientific and product talks at workshops, webinars, seminars, and conferences.
• 4-8 years of relevant experience including Ph.D/postdoctoral or industrial experience in cryo-electron microscopy, cryo-tomography.
• An understanding of how a transmission electron microscope (TEM) works and comfort operating a TEM independently.
• Experience characterizing the performance of an imaging system such as a direct detection camera or energy filtered detector
• Experience using software for single particle reconstruction in cryo-EM and software for 3D reconstructions of cryo-tomography samples
• Experience with software or scripting
• Experience quantitatively assessing the quality of cryo-EM data.
• Familiarity with concepts such as Nyquist frequency, resolution, Fourier Transforms
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
• Must be able to work under general direction, with the ability to evaluate issues and make independent decisions.
• Willing and able to travel extensively to domestic and international sites.
• Must possess a high degree of diplomacy, judgment, and the ability to deal with and influence persons in all types of positions.
• Willingness to take on new responsibilities and challenges.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.