Gatan, an AMETEK business, that was acquired in 2019 for $925M, is a high technology company and a recognized world leader in the design and manufacture of state-of-the-art electron microscopy equipment.
There is always more to see. And when you’re working with electron microscopy, the closer you can get to your sample, the more of its secrets it will reveal. That’s why at Gatan we have spent the last 50 years working with our customers to push the boundaries of what can be done with electron microscopy. Together, we have invented new approaches to problems that deliver fresh understanding.
With state of the art cameras, imaging energy filters, specimen preparation equipment and other EM products and solutions, we take the most powerful microscopy on earth and make it work even harder for you.
We are currently seeking an experienced Electrical System Design Engineer for our imaging and analytical products who will be responsible for designing, developing and evaluating systems comprising high performance hardware, CPLDs/FPGAs and embedded systems. This individual will be responsible for working closely with the Software and Hardware groups to provide the designs. This position will be based out of our Pleasanton, CA office.
The primary function of this role will be as an electrical system designer on complex, digital and mixed signal systems including hardware architecture and design, CPLD/FPGA design, exploration of technology, characterizing system performance and producing specifications for design and test.
• Ability to design systems and hardware; map requirements to design of electrical systems
• Experience with timing closure at the system, board and FPGA level, determining system and unit test requirements and holding specification and design reviews
• Knowledge of mixed signal and high-performance board design and layout
• Ability to interpret and understand engineering drawings, documents, and procedure
• Experience creating preliminary concepts and schematics for custom electronics designs
• Experience selecting electronic components for new and existing designs
• CPLD/FPGA logic design with Verilog/SV, synthesis, P&R and timing analysis
• Experience with Orcad or Altium, Vivado, Quartus and Questasim
• Experience with SoCs and microprocessor peripherals such as Ethernet, USB, PCIe, SPI, JESD204b and similar protocols
• Strong comfort level working in a lab environment using embedded system debug tools
DESIRABLE SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
• Knowledge low noise analog design and ADCs
• Familiarity with Jira, Git etc.
• Knowledge of Python, C/C++, UVM verification environment and ability to target test cases
• Working knowledge of bootloaders and getting new hardware platforms to run
• Knowledge of image sensor data processing a plus
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• BS in Electrical Engineering from a four-year college or university, MS degree is a plus
• 5+ years of hardware development experience
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.