Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, saving lives is our mission. We achieve our mission by drawing on our humanity. Humanity made up of courage, determination, innovation, passion, empathy, and caring. These are the values that give us the advantage over cancer.
Our work is important. And so are the people doing it. The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our singular mission: to end the pain and suffering of cancer. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled. We value our employees and nearly 2.5 million volunteers around the globe that have stood with us through the years, and we will not rest until the fight is won. And that day is drawing nearer.
Expands the American Cancer Society’s reach, relevance and impact with external audiences as a member of the public relations team within ACS’ Corporate Communications department. Plans, develops and implements communications to advance the mission and public health priorities of the organization.
Communication Strategy, Planning and Development
• Serves as a health communication expert responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating communication strategies and plans for ACS public health/mission priorities, with an emphasis on expanding reach, relevance and impact with external audiences.
• Develops and disseminates clearly written, well-designed health communication messages, tools and materials for a variety of external audiences using a variety of formats (i.e. Digital, print, electronic, social media, media and audiovisual formats).
• Ensures that health communication activities are based on communication and marketing theory, principles, methods, and practices.
• Collaborates with internal communication and marketing teams (i.e., media relations, organizational communications, multimedia, reputation management, etc.) to develop and execute integrated communication plans and deliver high-impact communications through a variety of channels.
• Identifies, engages and cultivates relationships with key external stakeholders, partners and influencers to help advance communication objectives and expand reach, relevance and impact with external audiences.
Project and Account Management
• Leads nation-wide, large scale communications projects and initiatives for ACS’ mission and public health related portfolio.
• Serves as account manager for internal business units. Establishes and manages relationship and serves as liaison to business until on behalf of Corporate Communications.
• Collaborates with business units to develop scopes of work, deliverables and timelines to meet business unit’s objectives.
• Provides communication support, consultation and technical advice to business units on communication principles, approaches and methods.
• Provides exceptional client service, delivering work on time and within agreed upon cost.
• Engages and oversees outside counsel, including agency support, freelancers and other outsourcing resources as appropriate.
• Represents Corporate Communications on inter-disciplinary projects and cross-functional work groups.
• Develops and maintains a deep understanding of the competitive environment, industry trends and developments within relevant partner industries.
• Trains key volunteer communications influencers and champions, and American Cancer Society collaborators on our promotional initiatives and products.
• Bachelor’s degree in communication-related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
• 7+ years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in developing and implementing communication programs and materials. Prior experience working in public health is a plus.
Demonstrates Corporate Communication Competencies:
• Manages complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
• Strategic mindset - Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into breakthrough strategies.
• Action oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
• Drives results - Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
• Collaborates - Builds partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
• Communicates effectively - Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
• Instills trust - Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
• Situational adaptability - Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
• Ability to think strategically, manage complexity and work in an extremely high-paced environment.
• Strong project management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines and deliver high quality deliverables is a must.
• Highly developed customer service, writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Proven ability to assess and assimilate complex organizational, political, and health issues into clear compelling messaging and materials.
• Ability to deliver strategies and tactics on time and on budget as reflected by measurable internal client satisfaction.
• Must be a highly motivated self-starter. High initiative and follow-through.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Some travel may be required on as-needed basis.
We are committed to providing staff with fulfilling opportunities to learn, grow and make an impact in their local communities. We offer staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental and retirement benefits, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills.