The American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) is the nation's leading cancer advocacy organization. Together with our charitable partner, the American Cancer Society, we work in Congress, state legislatures and local jurisdictions to support evidence-based policy and legislative solutions designed to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. Based in Washington, DC with offices throughout the country, ACS CAN works to encourage elected officials and candidates to make cancer a top national priority.
The Website Strategy and Development Intern will support the development, maintenance and strategic optimization of ACS CAN’s website and digital advocacy efforts. This position will be responsible for analyzing key metrics, managing content and improving user experience on the organization’s website fightcancer.org. In addition to website responsibilities, the intern will have the opportunity to work with ACS CAN’s Digital Strategy, Social Media, Grassroots and Media Advocacy teams on various projects in an energetic environment with creative professionals.
• Assist content owners from various teams in ongoing content management efforts.
• Analyze website, email and social media key metrics and create reports to help guide future online strategy.
• Assist in website content and technical optimization efforts to improve the site’s user experience and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
• Build and perform landing page tests in order to optimize web content and features.
• Assist in website efforts to comply with accessibility guidelines.
• Participate in planning and information meetings related to the ACS CAN website, Digital Strategy and Media Advocacy.
• Other duties as assigned which may include video production, software application support and general office activities.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s student with an interest in digital advocacy and marketing.
• Familiarity with social media and web design/development best practices.
• Strong familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word for creating reports.
• Very comfortable analyzing data and creating reports.
• Familiarity with website analytics software such as Google Analytics.
• Familiarity with A/B testing of web pages a plus.
• Experience with HTML/CSS, Drupal or other Content Management Systems a plus.
• Experience with graphic design; Photoshop experience a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills.
All Interns Must meet the following requirements:
•Full-time student, If you are an undergraduate student you have completed your freshman year of college;
•Have a minimum of a B average (cumulative 3.0 on 4.0 scale);
•Plan to continue their education in the following term/semester
oNote: an internship assignment may coincide with the student’s last term/trimester, but student must disengage upon graduation.
The following information must be submitted upon application:
• Two references from academic/professional sources addressing the student’s credentials based on the internship’s skill requirements • Recent transcript attesting to their GPA and standing as a full-time student • Unpaid interns must also provide documentation of the participation in a bona-fide college intern program under which their ACS CAN internship either qualifies them to receive course credit OR fulfills a graduation/coursework requirement.
It is the policy of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network not to discriminate against any employee or any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.