Responsible for coordinating and directing activities related to coding of individual patient health information for data retrieval, analysis, and claims processing.
Assures revenue integrity and quality of coding through supervision of either the professional or hospital outpatient coding processes. Position is responsible for ensuring these areas meet all the facility required standards. Responsible for monitoring work flows; including measuring and managing performance indicators and key functions in the department to maintain business objectives. HIM Coding Supervisors assists HIM Managers with budget preparation, staffing decisions, development and implantation of strategic goals for the coding department. Assists in preparing a variety of recurring reports, and special projects and other duties as assigned. Provides daily staff supervision to ensure the effective and efficient operations of the department while promoting customer satisfaction. Serves as an expert coder and the knowledge base for questions related to professional or hospital outpatient coding. Responsible for maintaining the daily coding work flow to minimize coding backlogs.
Associates or Bachelors degree in healthcare or a related field.
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
Coding certification required. Accepted certifications include RHIT, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CIC or COC.
Five (5) years coding/health information experience required.
Thorough understanding of hospital outpatient or physician professional fee coding and related software applications such as APC groupers and encoders. Knowledge of federal requirements for coding. Interpersonal skills and ability to work with staff and providers from a variety of departments. Is able to work independently, flexible and adapts well to changes. Demonstrates initiative, independently taking proactive steps toward problem resolution. Able to gather facts and assess all perspectives in order to influence positive outcomes. Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required.
- Ensures staff members are adequately trained and are competent to perform all required job tasks.
- Recommends or initiates personnel actions for hires, promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures. Initiates and completes staff performance evaluations.
- Resolves work related issues, or assists employees in solving work related issues.
- Reviews operational performance and employee audit results and manages team toward achieving performance metrics.
- Reviews daily work assignments and loads to ensure office efficiency.
- Assists manager with quality, service and budgetary initiatives.
- Serves as Carle expert on CPT and ICD coding
- Analyzes regulatory information and materials for impact on the hospital environment, identifies affected functions, and works with them to implement changes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.