The Kasper Group is an apparel industry leader, offering women wardrobe solutions for their wear-to-work and special occasion dressing needs. Driven by excellence and exceptional talent, The Kasper Group has remained a forerunner in fashion for over 30 years. We are committed to delivering iconic brands (Kasper, Anne Klein, LeSuit), relevant fashions and trusted, quality products to our consumers. So be a part of the exceptional talent! We currently have an excellent opportunity for a Temp to Perm Technical Designer with knowledge in sweaters, knits and dresses. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work closely with Design team from first proto fitting stage to establish desired look and fit of garment on live model.
- Evaluate and analyze in detail on each garment spec measurements, fabric quality, flat paper pattern, yarn, knit stitches, trim, workmanship and construction details.
- Issue the spec tech pack which includes all the technical specifications of the garment necessary for production: sketch, measurements, size grading, finishing details, yarn and fabric quality details, initial care instructions, pack method and labeling details.
- Communicate the fit and construction requirements and corrections clearly to factories, anticipating potential production issues, and work out any problems that arise. Write detailed comments which are enhanced with digital photographs, sketches, paper patterns, etc., critiquing the fit and workmanship of garment, and make any necessary changes to the spec tech pack. The comments are added to the tech pack which is sent to overseas agents and factories.
- Maintain a cohesive history of the style as well as a high standard of quality for production -The tech designer must keep in mind the design concept throughout the fitting process from the first proto through all stages of dups, pre-production samples, to the final size sets and top of production samples
- Present solutions to Design or Production teams in order to resolve problems with yarn, fabric quality or poorly made samples.
- Review lab test requirements for care instructions; and collaborate with compliance department when questions of proper import category requirements arise.
- Develop and maintain a library of pattern blocks to streamline the approval process.
- Ensure factories properly execute fit comments to make necessary changes for the next stage of the process.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to work independently without need for constant supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BA degree in fashion field (preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 5 to 7 years in the fashion industry
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical
- Patternmaking and draping skills.
- Technical knowledge of garment construction (Knitwear: sweater knits and cut and sew knits is essential).
- Understanding of the various types and capabilities of knitting machines and knitwear technology used in the industry.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.