My Career. My Company. My Legacy.
At PCL, you are more than just an employee. You could be part of a team that works hard, plays hard, and makes a difference in your community. PCL offers competitive compensation packages, and a chance to be an owner in our 100-percent employee-owned company. We not only reward you financially, but give you challenging assignments and a supportive work environment which promotes personal and professional growth.
Whether you are looking for a corporate or construction career, exciting opportunities are waiting for you. Our people have helped us stand out as a leading general contracting organization, which is why we’re always looking for new talent—individuals who can bring innovative solutions and thinking to every project.
We are globally seeking experienced Senior Estimators in our Canadian Buildings Division – Toronto district. Reporting directly to the Chief Estimator, the Senior Estimator takes ownership and leads in the preparation of a complete estimate/proposal for a large project, and identifies risk, opportunities and maintains a win strategy. They consistently seek the challenge of a new opportunity. Establishing and maintaining an excellent relationship with sub trades, suppliers and clients is essential.
Foreign international candidates are welcome. Assistance with relocation and immigration may be provided.
- Conducts a detailed analysis of the contract documents and specifications, to determine overall project requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.) and identifies a win strategy and any associated risk factors, including the monitoring of published addenda’s that may alter the original scope of the project.
- Completes or oversees a full quantity take-off of all labour, equipment and materials required to complete the project as per contract specifications to ensure accuracy of pricing.
- Establishes a critical path schedule on the estimated milestone progress dates and completion timelines in order to meet the contract completion dates.
- Solicits pricing from subcontractors and suppliers for labour, equipment and materials, in order to ascertain the lowest price while meeting PCL’s safety and quality standards.
- Completes final cost estimate of a project through the use of PCL in-house software system, incorporating all labour, equipment, and material data, pricing documentation, overhead and profit margins, and produces a final tender submission for review and approval of Chief Estimator and District Management.
- Prepares final tender documents for submission to client on behalf of PCL in order to meet contract deadline submission requirements.
- Acts as a liaison with external consultants and project management organizations to estimate project budget requirements and coordinates tender development process on behalf of clients.
- In conjunction with the Chief Estimator, establishes team assignments and identifies estimating review dates.
- In conjunction with the Chief Estimator, reviews special proposal requirements and makes recommendations.
- Review the project budget, schedule, and project execution plan and identify any potential risks prior to the project starting and throughout its life cycle.
- In conjunction with the Chief Estimator, completes a final bid submission review and oversees the final tender document submission to the client on behalf of PCL.
- Assists in the education and development of estimator and junior estimators.
- College diploma or university degree in engineering, architecture, construction management or quantity surveying.
- Minimum of 12+ years of construction experience with a focus in estimating and project management. Preference will be given to those who have previous estimating experience with a large general contractor.
- Solid experience with the Design Build process.
- Experience with P3 pursuits an asset.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects at one time with values totaling over $200 million.
- Ability to conceptualize a project without complete drawings.
- Ability to plan and organize construction activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to recognize risks and opportunities to a project and analyze them, determine associated costs, impact to schedule and create a mitigation plan.
- Ability to establish a good working relationship with many different people, including owners, other managers, designers and supervisors.
- Familiar with the creation of project schedules.
- Ability to identify/create opportunities (success on bids, enhance fee on projects being built).
- Past experience in the supervision of junior and intermediate level employees.
- Extensive knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity take off procedures, sub-trade procurement, pricing and bid closing procedures.
- Identifies competitors and understands current market conditions.
- Ability to use industry relationships to create a competitive advantage.
The PCL family of companies are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for, and we aspire to be the most respected builder, renowned for excellence, leadership, and unsurpassed value.
Let us help you build your Legacy today.