Make an impact at a global dynamic investment organization
When you invest in your career at CPPIB, you become part of one of the fastest growing institutional investors in the world, with current assets under management valued in excess of $180 billion. Guided by our purpose to invest on behalf of 18 million contributors and beneficiaries of the Canada Pension Plan, we are independent, accountable and focused on performance.
At CPPIB, you can look forward to:
- Working with world-class talent with diverse backgrounds and deep experience.
- A team-oriented approach that recognizes high performance and values integrity.
- Global career development opportunities with offices in Toronto, London and Hong Kong and future offices in New York and São Paulo.
- Building a diverse, actively managed investment portfolio with a long-term approach.
If you share our sense of purpose, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
We are presently recruiting for an Associate, Fundamental Investing in the Public Market Investments department in our Toronto office. The Associate in the Fundamental Investing team within the Global Corporate Securities (GCS) group is accountable for uncovering incremental alpha-generating investment opportunities for CPPIB within a broad range of sectors.
As part of this process, he/she will be expected to develop a clear understanding of the competitive dynamics (and regulatory ones, where applicable) of each industry sub-sector and the revenue and earnings drivers of various industry participants, as well as the risks attached to them. He/she will then be expected to value the business using DCF and other relevant metrics; and to clearly lay out a case for making either long or short investments in these names. The Associate will “own” these names within the portfolio and will be expected to stay up to date on all developments that may have a bearing on their competitive positioning and intrinsic value.
In addition, the Associate will be expected to play an active role in the functioning of the global Fundamental Investing team and GCS as a whole; and will also be expected to share his/her sector knowledge and expertise both within GCS and with other departments within CPPIB when required (e.g. Relationship Investing, Private Equity etc.).
- Conduct comprehensive research, review and analysis of the relevant industry and its participants, as well as macro issues having a bearing on these entities
- Build comprehensive financial and valuation models, and write comprehensive industry and company notes and recommendations.
- Develop and maintain new information sources (proprietary and other); and make effective use of publicly available sources of data and information such as Bloomberg, Factset, Capital IQ, sell-side analysts, industry analysts etc.
- Conduct meetings with external company management teams with a view to gaining a better understanding of all relevant issues affecting the industry and its participants
- Write comprehensive company analyses and long/short recommendations; and present (or assist in presenting) them to other members of the group
- Develop and maintain relationships with other parts of CPPIB (e.g. Relationship Investing and Private Equity), so as to facilitate the cross-departmental flow of industry knowledge and investment ideas
- Attend industry conferences and trade shows as needed in order to gain a better understanding of trends within the industry
- Other tasks as required.
If you possess the following, we’d like to hear from you:
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in business analysis within a management consulting firm, investment bank or investment management organization (buy-side experience preferred, but is not critical)
- MBA and CFA qualifications preferred
- Strong research, financial modeling and valuation skills and expertise are required
- Strong leader who enjoys a high performance culture and is comfortable operating in a growing and evolving organization
- Openness to new challenges, ideas, approaches and environments
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a track record of working effectively with others, both internal and external to the organization
- Well-developed time management and organization skills
- Must be able to work well in a team environment with a high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Highly effective communication and presentation skills – both verbal and written
- Long-short experience preferred
- Any knowledge of quantitative approaches in investing and use of external data sources such as Factset, Bloomberg, Capital IQ, Markets.com is valuable
- Investment Research & Analysis: Takes initiative and thinks creatively in researching, analyzing, and implementing investment strategies with moderate supervision
- PMI Transaction Management: Leads the preparation of investment recommendations and in organizing due diligence processes, including taking an active role in the presentation of investment recommendations.
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.