Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $200 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, Hong Kong, London, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
The Global Tactical Asset Allocation (“GTAA”) group within Public Market Investments is responsible for generating excess returns by taking macroeconomic risk. It takes top-down, active positions in and between global asset classes such as equity, bonds, currencies and commodities. GTAA uses both fundamental and quantitative approaches to establish its views. It is one of the largest and fastest growing GTAA groups globally, and has recruited international talent from world class macro funds. As part of a young organization with a strong governance structure and a relatively unconstrained investment mandate, the GTAA group is able to benefit from some inherent, structural advantages. In particular we are able to take relatively long-horizon investment views and foster unique external partnerships with other world class asset managers.
We are presently recruiting for a Senior Associate to support the research, design and implementation of world-class active investment strategies in our rapidly expanding GTAA group. The role is focused on: 1) generating new ideas on alpha research. 2) Developing clever approaches measuring the total portfolio‘s risk. 3) Providing actionable and timely recommendations on how to manage risk.
Ideal candidates are deeply passionate about financial markets, embrace both quantitative and fundamental approaches to active management, are intellectually curious and creative, flourish in a non-hierarchical culture and conduct themselves with the highest standards of integrity. Above all, they derive the highest satisfaction from achieving excellence, continuously expanding their knowledge and skills, and by being part of a team that strives to be the best in its field.
The Senior Associate would be responsible for alpha research initiatives. S/he will also be responsible for understanding, predicting and quantifying asset risk and co-movements across countries, asset classes and regimes, where we view risk as far more than a covariance matrix or an empirical estimate, and should be comfortable viewing risk through either a qualitative or quantitative lens. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the portfolio construction team and a team of portfolio managers, in building and enhancing active investment programs covering multiple asset classes.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Conduct research on cutting-edge alpha signals and their predictability powers
- Monitor GTAA’s portfolio risk along several dimensions
- Assist with day to day portfolio management and monitoring of portfolio positions across a wide range of different asset classes including currency, equity markets, bonds and commodities
- Improve GTAA’s risk-adjusted returns by recommending measures to increase portfolio diversification
- Stay abreast of relevant academic and applied research as well as general macroeconomic and market conditions.
If you possess the following, we’d like to hear from you:
- Masters or PhD degree in fields related to Finance, Economics, Operation Research, Statistics, Computer Science
- 5-7 years of relevant experience (e.g. as an investment manager)
- Strong working knowledge of alpha research and risk management
- Demonstrated interest in financial markets; ability to interpret economic news and market conditions
- Solid knowledge of programming languages such as Matlab and information technologies.
- Detail-oriented with ability to produce creative and realistic ideas
- Ability to work in a culture of high performance, under pressure to perform with time-sensitive deadlines
- Strong background in VaR based risk measures and stochastic calculus is considered an asset
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn. #LI-AF1
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
CPP Investment Board does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investment Board to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investment Board will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.