Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investment Board (CPPIB), you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $200 billion, and projected to reach $300 billion by 2020, CPPIB is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan to ensure long-term sustainability. CPPIB invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and currently has offices in Toronto, London, Hong Kong, New York and São Paulo.
CPPIB attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPPIB.
The Associate is responsible for developing risk reporting strategy and preparing high quality functional & cross functional investment risk reports in a timely and accurate fashion. The Associate will lead and assist certain production process to ensure that risk estimates are measured correctly by ensuring that analytical reviews, reasonability checks, position reconciliations and established processes are completed and followed in accordance with Investment Risk Management Standards and Methodologies.
The position requires strong analytical capabilities in risk analysis, in particular Market Risk and Credit Risk. The position requires excellent writing and communication skills to ensure risk measurements, topical analytics and comments are communicated effectively through functional risk reports and cross functional management reports. The position also requires the ability to work with third party risk applications and internally developed applications.
The ideal candidate possesses an undergraduate or post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Engineering, and Applied Math of similar program. Candidates should have minimum 5 years of relevant experience. Professional designation such as CFA or FRM is considered an asset. Excellent writing, research, technical and analytical skills are essential. The candidate must also have strong communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to work both independently and with partners within the same team or across different functional areas. Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications is required. Experience with third party or custom built risk applications is desirable. Management experience is considered an asset. Other desirable attributes include: being self-motivated, flexible, adaptable, and is open to and comfortable with constantly evolving and changing priorities and new challenges.
Other desirable attributes include being self-motivated, collaborative, flexible, adaptable, and open to and comfortable with constantly evolving and changing priorities and new challenges.
- Develop and prepare functional & cross functional investment risk reports
- Participate the development and enhancement of the risk reporting strategy
- Review, validate and distribute risk reports on a timely and accurate basis
- Analyze portfolio risk results at a detailed level to ensure completeness and accuracy of the results
- Carry out attribution of portfolio risk to individual investment strategies and risk factors using established methodologies and applications
- Prepare risk reports and analysis in response to ad-hoc requests.
- Investigate and resolve data discrepancies in portfolio, benchmark and market data.
- Participate the development and enhancement of the Risk Analytics system
- Assist in developing and executing tests to ensure the accuracy and completeness of information being used to calculate risk measures.
- Develop and maintain documentation related to Risk Measurement processes and activities.
- Participate the improvement of production processes such as risk measurement and risk decomposition capabilities
- Work with functional teams such as Credit Risk team and Market Risk team to develop strategy-specific risk reports and to analyze investment department strategies.
- Work with data service departments to identify and source necessary market, proxy and benchmark data
- Develop and foster effective working relationships across the CPP Investment Board.
- Develop and foster effective working relationships with external risk service providers.
- Other duties as required
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience, preferably in the Investment/Capital Markets risk management area
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Engineering or other relevant discipline with a strong appetite for quantitative and statistical data
- Professional designation; CFA, CA, CAIA, FRM or other would be an asset
- Excellent writing and communication skills. Proven management reporting record would be a strong asset
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities and financial skills
- Solid working knowledge in the use of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to build/automate solutions and lead initiatives using Excel/VBA, and relevant third party analytical software.
- Experience with MSCI RiskMetrics and Moody’s Risk Frontier is an asset
- Familiarity with data vendors such as Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters and their product offerings
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Able to deliver in a constantly changing and fast paced organization
- Able to partner with different areas of the organization and with different employee levels
- Ability to deliver in a high performance culture operating under time-sensitive deadlines
- Exemplifies our guiding principles of partnership, integrity and high performance. #LI-AP1
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on LinkedIn.
At CPP Investment Board, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.