Covanta Energy Corporation is an internationally recognized owner and operator of large-scale Energy-from-Waste and renewable energy projects and a recipient of the Energy Innovator Award from the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
Covanta’s 44 Energy-from-Waste facilities provide communities with an environmentally sound solution to their solid waste disposal needs by using that municipal solid waste to generate clean, renewable energy. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely and securely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste into 9 million megawatt hours of clean renewable electricity and almost 9 billion pounds of steam that are sold to a variety of industries.
Covanta is a listed company under the symbol CVA. For more information, visit www.covantaenergy.com . For career opportunities, visit http://www.covantaenergy.com/careers.aspx
Our Covanta 4Recovery business has a newly formed Waste Services business line that targets large commercial MSW accounts for direct contract at the waste generator level. This team is now looking for a Director to be ideally based in Morristown, NJ. Other locations or work from home may be considered for exceptional candidates.
As a Director in Covanta Energy’s merchant waste group, this position is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive array of waste services for customers seeking energy recovery/zero landfill for their waste and a single source of contact for all waste removal, transportation, recycling and recovery. The Director will be in a key leadership and managerial role in the group and will have an intense focus on building and managing a regional sales team and on overall business to business sales model development. The person will help refine the strategic sales direction with a primary goal to grow the business profitably and responsibly while building brand loyalty. The position requires significant planning, marketing, communication and interpersonal skills as the person will interact with senior levels of Covanta and our business partners. This business line will operate with a primary purpose of building long term value to Covanta while providing a superior business to business customer experience. Position reports to the SVP of Covanta 4Recovery, Covanta’s merchant waste business group.
Principal Activities and Responsibilities include:
- Managing sales team (5-10 people) who are located in specific geographic target markets and/or corporate office
- Updating and modifying the business plan associated with the newly formed line of business
- Setting revenue targets and budgets for the business line in accordance with the annual budgets and with the long term plan
- Relaying customer needs to customer service team that helps build customer esteem, facility and logistics efficiency, and long term customer satisfaction
- Interaction with key suppliers/customers with sales as key deliverable
- Negotiation and approval of service contracts
- Legal and risk analysis
- Participation and development in identifying synergistic acquisition targets
- Presentation/communication to other senior corporate management
- College or University degree – preferably in business, marketing or in the natural or engineering sciences. Relevant experience in lieu of degree may be acceptable for exceptional candidates.
- 5 or more years demonstrated successful experience in the direct supervision of sales or marketing teams.
- Tangible results and 3 or more years of experience in waste industry sales and services for large and/or national customer accounts.
- Thorough understanding of pricing services, sales models, and brokerage accounts typical of the North American solid waste industry.
- Superior interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial and creative approaches to sales and sales management.
- Strong analytical capabilities.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment supporting 24 x 7 operations.
- Travel is required – estimated 30% and contained primarily to the northeast U.S.