BRIEF POSITION SUMMARY:
CarMax, a Fortune 100 “Best Companies to Work For” ten years in a row and the nation’s leading used car retailer, is seeking an a Senior Analyst for our Financial Systems team. The Senior Analyst – Application Infrastructure position is responsible for administering the web, application, integration and batch process servers, with a primary focus on setup, configuration, monitoring and management of the PeopleSoft and Hyperion systems for CarMax® IT department and ensuring the financial systems meet CarMax® quality standards.
This position requires partnering with other members of the IT community in order to successfully complete assignments. Generally, this will involve mentoring and providing direction to junior associates in the administration or support of financial systems as well as planning and execution of projects with minimal direct supervision.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Application setup, configuration, monitoring and management:
• Maintains the PeopleSoft, Hyperion and other application environments, including applying updates, maintenance packs, patches and fixes to all environments.
• Prepares implementation plans for application upgrades and may coordinate rollout.
• Monitors server performance and recommends changes as needed. May design performance monitoring systems.
• Works closely with developers, support, DBA and QA teams to design and optimize all Hyperion and PeopleSoft environments.
• Prepares scripts to automate administration tasks.
• Determines standards for financial system server configuration.
• Works with the application development teams in designing and implementing database and software solutions
• Responsible for the ownership of assigned environment administration tasks on projects
• Ensures that application administration support and development efforts consistently meet CarMax® standards, business requirements and direction
• Passionate support and ownership of all areas under their responsibility
• Effectively develops timelines for themselves and others to perform tasks and influences the team’s work to be completed within those timeframes
• Participates in a 24x7 on-call rotation as scheduled and must perform after hours support
• Must effectively categorize support problems and respond with the appropriate level of urgency
• Developing and promoting standard operations documentation such as procedures, checklists and instructions
• Ensuring systems adherence and compliance with CarMax security standards and practices
• System capacity planning
• Providing 2nd and 3rd level administrative/engineer support
Team Development (Mentoring & Assisting)
• Educating, training and providing support to junior team members on newly adopted technologies and processes
• Reviewing work related documentation for team members
• Motivating and assisting team members in reaching goals
• Influences the work of others to drive medium and large projects to successful completion through effective project management, customer interaction and IT coordination
• Responsible for mentoring others in best practices, procedures and concepts
• Steers the relevant support tasks of other associates
• Drives through obstacles and time constraints to successfully deliver a project to completion
• Delivers solutions through building consensus in both business and technical perspectives
• Demonstrates effective teamwork behaviors
• Can effectively manage the tasks responsible for multiple projects and report upon their status & task timings
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Understands business and financial systems needs sufficiently to apply technology solutions, monitoring tools, and environment configuration to financial areas of the CarMaxâ business.
• Project management skills with proven ability in leading small to medium sized projects
• Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast alternative approaches to meet objectives while assessing risk both quantitatively and qualitatively
• Proven ability to manage own schedule and work independently with limited supervision
• Possess strong organizational and time management skills
• Exhibits a high proficiency in communication with the user community and all levels of management to include written, verbal and listening
• Ability to be flexible
• Ability to understand and document business requirements as well as provide a proposal of the appropriate solution
Financial Systems Administration:
• Ability to perform application administration responsibly to ensure application access, performance, security and back-up/recovery is optimal and available at all times
• Ability to perform system patching, upgrades, environment refreshes, configuration and new installations.
• Experience with the following preferred:
o Oracle Weblogic Server
o Hyperion EPM and Essbase
o MS SQL Database
o Linux OS
• Ability to Learn and Understand the following:
o Oracle Database
o Peoplesoft Financial Systems
Systems troubleshooting duties:
• Able to troubleshoot system errors and working efficiently to resolve issues and mitigate system downtime
Education and/or Experience:
• Years of experience, 5+ years of Application administration experience in a
J2EE Environment and with Oracle Hyperion EPM.
• Education preference, 4 year degree in IT related course of study
• Computer skills, 5+ years experience in UNIX and MS Windows, environments
• Application development, 5+ years experience supporting a Client/Server or
equivalent application development environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communicate skills
• Influence and communicate effectively with IT management and associates
• Ability to document findings and solutions that meet the business needs
• Ability to present alternative solutions to IT management and business users
• Possess effective presentation development and delivery skills including the ability to adjust presentations to match appropriate audience
• Ability to convey a professional and positive image in all situations
• Consistently executes in presenting one's thoughts and ideas in an organized manner
• Consistently executes in documenting findings and solutions that address business needs
• Consistently executes in communicating technical concepts and ideas in a business friendly manner
• Statistical analysis, reporting and advanced calculations in Excel
• Consistently able to execute in reporting IT systems operating times
• Consistently able to gather, evaluate and present performance metrics and benchmarks in order to resolve or prevent system problems
• Consistently able to participate in the budgeting process to identify the Total Cost of Ownership to assist in purchasing decisions
• Ability to develop a strategy, gather and access business benefit or ROI for a request
• Consistently able to in completing arithmetic calculations to validate test data
• Able to solve technical problems and architect and present solutions
• Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Performs well in high pressure or stressful situations
• Correct handling and recap of mission critical/high priority tickets
• Seeks and identifies the root cause of problems
• Perform in-depth root cause analysis
• Consistently executes in effectively estimating the time in effort and duration to accomplish requested tasks
• Ability to evaluate long term impact when making recommendation and decisions
• The duties of this position are performed inside a central heat and air-conditioned office building. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
• The position works in a fast paced office setting with multiple, simultaneous demands and numerous distractions and disruptions due to incoming work-related communications.
• Pleasant yet fast paced environment, at times requiring direction from more than one supervisor
• Distractions and disruptions due to incoming communication often arise
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.