The certified nursing assistant (CNA) is a member of the home care team who works under the supervision of a registered nurse and performs various personal care services as necessary to meet the client’s needs. The CNA is responsible for both the hands on direct care and in direct care of the client, reporting and documentation of the care performed and the observation of the client.
The CNA will be assigned in a manner that promotes quality, continuity and safety of a client’s care.
- Provide client care as directed by the Director of Nursing or registered nurse supervisor.
- Provide personal care:
- Grooming, including oral care
- Assist the client with dressing and undressing
- Assist the client with toileting activities
- Assist in feeding the client, if necessary
- Feed clients who are unable to feed themselves
- Take and record vital signs (temperature, pulse, respirations and blood pressure)
- Measure and record height and weight, if necessary
- Support good skin care to prevent skin breakdown (i.e. turn and reposition client, actively encourage movement)
- Assist client with active and passive range of motions as defined by the plan of care
- Provide client with help walking and transferring
- Observe client’s physical, mental and emotional conditions
- Report any change to the Director of Nursing or nursing supervisor
- Document observed changes
- Measure and document intake and output, if necessary
- Assist client in the self-administration of medication (medication reminder)
- Perform light housekeeping and laundry as needed
- Perform meal preparation and clean up
- Change bed linens and make up the client’s bed
- Maintain an orderly client environment.
- Follow principles of infection control and Universal Precautions.
- Identify and participate in performance improvement activities.
- Provide transport to doctor appointments, outside activities and shopping once a waiver has been obtained.
- Participate in client teaching according to the client’s plan of care, and your scope of practice.
- Assist in providing a safe environment and promote quality patient care through adherence to established policies, procedures and standards, and the plan of care.
- Know, understand and follow the policies and procedures of BrightStar of Central Seattle.
- Ensure client’s rights are adhered to. These include but are not limited to:
- the right to privacy and dignity while care is being providedthe right to accept or refuse care
- the right to confidentiality of their information.
- Respond rapidly and appropriately in an emergency situation.
- Use equipment properly and in a safe manner, and report any that needs repair.
- High school diploma or GED
- Successful completion of a nursing assistant program
- Certification as a CNA
- Minimum of one (1) year of documented experience required.
- Certified in CPR
- Negative TB skin test or chest x-ray
- Licensed driver with automobile that is insured in accordance with the organizations requirements.
- Self-directing with the ability to work with little direct supervision
- Empathy for the needs of the client
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to express spoken and/or written ideas in English
- Have 24 hour access to a computer for scheduling and reporting purposes; ability to scan or fax timesheets
- Ability to provide accurate, legible and timely documentation
- Treats clients, staff and the public with courtesy, respect and presents a positive public image.
- Works as a team member
- Ensures confidentiality and security of the client’s medical information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to travel throughout the service area. Work is normally performed in an office or home environment
- Medium physical activity, lifting 20-50 lbs occasionally; 10-25 lbs frequently to Heavy lifting 50 – 100 lbs occasionally.
- Use of personal protective equipment
- Able to get into and out of client homes without assistance.
Keywords: CNA, C.N.A., Certified Nursing Assistant, R.N., RN, registered nurse, nursing, ER, emergency room, licensed practical nurse, medical, surgical, obstetrics, operating, pediatrics, intensive care unit, LPN, L.P.N., ICU, I.C.U., E.R., home care, homecare, home health, hospice
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.